Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Calling MEMS1.6 or Mini SPI owners 5 years 6 months ago #188400

I am meeting Rob Bell from the MGF Register on the morning of November 10th in Slough to try the MEMS1.9 tuning features on his car.
We also have some experimental tuning features for the MEMS1.6 (ECU with 3 pin plug).
If anyone would like to have a play please get in touch.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Calling MEMS1.6 or Mini SPI owners 5 years 6 months ago #188460

I haven't had access to an actual car, but I have tried two ECUs, one is a Rover 820 turbo ECU and the other a Mini SPI ECU and I am getting the same results with both.

The result is that when a command is sent to change open loop mixture, or ignition timing that the ECU responds back with the new setting, which means that it has understood and actioned the command.

Similarly when the "save" button is pressed the ECU responds in a way that I would understand means that it is saved.

The problem is that if I remove power from the ECU and then power it up again it seems to forget everything.

With a MEMS1.9 this doesn't happen, the ECU remembers (and today we proved that it does in fact change the timing and mixture).

So on the SPI this either means that I am doing something wrong, or this is the way that these ECUs are.

So I have a question for customers: Do you want a tuning feature that isn't really tested and that appears to be forgotten on power cycle? I don't really like releasing a deficient feature but it appears to currently be the best that I can do. Should I release it?

Last edit: Post by pscan.uk.

Calling MEMS1.6 or Mini SPI owners 5 years 6 months ago #188463

Releasing it as a beta will enable others to try it and see if they get the same result or they can save.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Calling MEMS1.6 or Mini SPI owners 5 years 6 months ago #188468

I've tried it on my MEMS1.9 and it behaves exactly as expected with all values changing and saving.

I've currently got the Ignition Timing set to full advance and it does seem to give the car a bit more urgency. Whether or not that is a subjective feeling or if it's real I don't know. It would be nice to see a rolling road comparison really but I'm not aware of any such facility in this part of the world (South West Wales) There's no pinking and the suggestion that I've seen on another site (MEMSDIAG) is that the engine is factory set to retard to cope with poor grade fuel in other markets. I'm not sure if I fully believe that but I've been running with this setting for a few thousand miles now (originally set with MEMSDIAG) with no APPARENT ill effects to the engine.

In terms of releasing the software, I'm not sure that values that don't save would be worthwhile on the Mini SPI ECU but it would give others the chance to test it I suppose.

Keep up the good great work!
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Calling MEMS1.6 or Mini SPI owners 5 years 6 months ago #188471

Yesterday we had Rob Bells MGF on the rolling Road.
His car is MEMS1.9 with TF135 cams.
By advancing the timing 2.0 degrees and leaning the mixture to - 65 it went from 135 bhp to 140 bhp with more linear power delivery but at the expense of some smoothness in traffic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys, sworkscooper

• Page:
Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT