Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Soft top cleaning - green algae 4 weeks 21 hours ago #206326

I've got green algae on my soft top, and I've read the how to guide which refers to using proprietary cleaning products. I've washed my soft top and used a soft brush a couple of times but it's not moved it ( below is immediately after washing).

I've read elsewhere recommendations to use diluted Milton to kill the algae, anyone else tried this. Also just regular washing with mild detergent. Plan is to treat it with Renovo once the mold has been removed.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Soft top cleaning - green algae 4 weeks 16 hours ago #206332

I have literally done mine this afternoon.

I just popped in to my local hardware store and got some non branded car upholstery cleaner and a dish washing brush.

When I started the hood was wet from this lunchtimes rain so I sprayed the cleaner on to a small section and worked it in with the brush. I then washed it off with a regular watering can. Later, as the rain dried up I wetted the next section with the watering can before soaping. I noticed a few stubborn spots as I was going so used a finger nail to work these a bit more.

I wasn't after a perfect job this time, just to make her look less abandoned. I will have another go and then give it a jet wash before she goes back on the road.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Soft top cleaning - green algae 4 weeks 9 hours ago #206343

I cleaned my hood with a cleaner from Gtechniq and the foam turned green so I knew it was removing the algae, unfortunately, the froth hid the damage I was doing to the stitching on both the hood and the window surround so be gentle or at least targeted; restitching through the thick material is a long and painful job!

Soft top cleaning - green algae 4 weeks 45 minutes ago #206350

In my opinion, a wet vacuum cleaner with the sort of small nozzle for upholstery is a good idea. There is no guarantee when "rinsing-off" cleaner that all of the dirt, algae etc. will be lifted off/out of the fabric. The wet vacuum will rinse-out the cleaning liquid AND all the muck, before using Renovo or whatever. It certainly worked well on the second-hand hood (with glass rear window) which I purchased. It was quite dirty, with lots of green algae. It now looks pristine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ohnonottwins

Soft top cleaning - green algae 3 weeks 6 days ago #206359

Hmmmm.... a wet Vax. Very interesting. A good idea. I'll be doing mine soon.

Soft top cleaning - green algae 3 weeks 4 days ago #206392

Diluted bleach works very well to remove algae.
Mark
95 MGF

Soft top cleaning - green algae 3 weeks 4 days ago #206402

Diluted bleach works very well to remove algae.

A very underrated product for removing algae, not too strong on a hood but as a stronger solution will remove algae from paving around the house etc, unlike pressure washing it does not blast the grout out. Simply make sure the paving is damp and apply with a watering can. Before my hip became limited in its articulation I could do a piece 18 meters by 13 metres in two minutes. These days I dilute it more but travel more slowly.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT