Sign In   Register

Topic

FRONT BRAKES 1 month 1 week ago #206188

Morning I have managed to spray the O/S of the car .I was going to refit the front wheel and I checked the caliper.The pads had stuck onto the disc,so I thought it best to remove the caliper ans recon it After a great deal of trouble due to the one securing bolt being rusted in and the head damaged I finally managed to get the caliper off I blew the piston out using the foot brake ,then removed the brake pipe .I`ve cleaned the piston which looks really god also the cylinder .However I cannot fit the piston back into the cylinder,to see if it is free .Am I missing something ,there seems to be a rusty ring is that part of the rubber seal Len

Please Log in to join the conversation.

FRONT BRAKES 1 month 1 week ago #206189

Hello I found the top ring was a bit rusty I carefully cleaned it and its now fine .Piston goes in without seal nice and smooth

FRONT BRAKES 1 month 1 week ago #206190

well done Len. The standard sliding calipers are pretty durable I found. Easier to work on than the AP 4 pots.

How did your painting go ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

FRONT BRAKES 1 month 1 week ago #206192

Hello I had to hammer an undersized socket onto the caliper bolt and use oxy acet.fo getit red hot before it would shift Ive now stripped caliper waiting for new seals .The spraying went well I did it the other day,when it was dry and I heated the "TENT" up to nearly 70F .There were a few rust scabs on the off side but I find it easier to remove these and spray the whole side ,rather than try to blend the new paint in Since the car is 20 years old its difficult to get an exact match anyway Rear bumper is next its badly cracked
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted pic

FRONT BRAKES 1 month 1 week ago #206205

Forgot to add once the lacquer has hardened off I can flat it with 1500 or 2000 wet and dry and then polish it with G3 Faracla to bring up the shine

FRONT BRAKES 1 month 1 week ago #206206

When you have finished all the high grade wet & drying, have moved past the G3 polishing stage & are happy with the results, would you like to spend a week on the West Pennine Moors. Whilst your here you could work on the paintwork imperfections on my car; a week would be about right.
M

FRONT BRAKES 1 month 1 week ago #206207

Hello thanks for the offer.However I have cancer,so I work on my car when I feel like doing so ,sometimes its left for a few weeks before I go into the garage to do anything .This means I cannot fix a time to do anything .I take it you have a decent compressor Len

FRONT BRAKES 1 month 1 week ago #206208

That’s fine my friend, it was, as you will have realised, said only in jest. I too am carrying debilitating problems, part of my morning ritual is to select a a number of brightly coloured tablets which after a short while lightens my day. By the time you are mature enough to select one of our cars as an ideal waste of time, time has caught up on all the physical attributes of the body which are required to keep the car in good condition (& make it an irritant even for the able bodied.)
Those who are in or around the three scores years & ten & choose an MGf or tf as transport should be highly praised.
Or possibly sanctioned.
M

FRONT BRAKES 1 month 1 week ago #206211

Hello again I`m 86 in a few week time and my wife keeps telling me to give up cars,but I tell her its physio !!! Len
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, Notanumber

FRONT BRAKES 1 month 1 week ago #206212

I forgot to add,we live in Worcestershire and our one son lives in Skipton. So we often visit him. A lovely area of UK

FRONT BRAKES 1 month 6 days ago #206219

Are you sure spell check hasn’t substituted physio for psycho?
M

FRONT BRAKES 1 month 6 days ago #206220

Mate, having one of our cars is to buggerise about with is good for the mind…..therapeutic! With less and less enjoyable shit to do as we get older, a blokes gotta have something to bother getting outta bed for, otherwise he’d stay all snuggled up in the fart sack all day!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT