Topic

TF disappointment 3 months 1 week ago #205673

Brilliant. !

Nothing fishy here
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF disappointment 3 months 6 days ago #205678

As usual, a longer story.

On purchase, the ECU light came on the next day.
Seller said that a new cat was fitted and the O2 sensor is positioned differently on aftermarket cats, therefore fooling the ECU into reporting an error.
They sent me another ECU (which I guess has the ECU error reporting disabled - they were vauge about it).
I bought another used ECU and sent that back to them and kept the original.

Having 2 ECU's in my posession, my plan was to work out what to do to find out what has changed in the replacement ECU, knowing I have the original should I want it.

I have not got to grips with my P-Scan yet (water ingress and HGF have taken centre stage). I still have not wored out if this is something I can interrogate with a P-Scan or if it is a Technozen matter. Advice gratefully recieved.

If I buy the EUV upgrade, it will have to be on the "final" ECU, depending on if this O2 sensor story is porkiepoo or not.
With only 6 months of ownership, I am just starting solid foods.

TF disappointment 3 months 4 days ago #205683

When unclear on the correct version of the truth for cats and Lambda sensors -always go with what an MOT tester can see. This is the only definitive version of the truth that matters and you can then look to get everything else working around that.

The most an MOT tester can charge you for checking the emissions would be the full MOT fee and most usually agree to do it for a fair bit less.

Assuming they agree the emissions are within acceptable legal limits for the car then my next step would be to talk to KMAPS to say that you would need them to ensure their replacement remapped ECU would NOT bring up the warning light. They will be used to these conversations. They work on an exchange basis so you can either post them one of your ECUs, pay the fee and get the replacement back in the post in a few days later Or they will post one straight away if you pay an additional deposit which is refunded once they receive your old one back.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

TF disappointment 3 months 4 days ago #205687

I am sure that there are many people that have used Kmaps without any problems but, I would like to share this with the Tbar . A neighbour of mine owned a TF who had his done by them and as has been said they do an exchange service . When the ECU arrived and fitted he asked me if i would mind looking at the car as it wasn't running well . It turned out the the ECU wasn't from a TF so the car was running like bag of proverbial . We compared my TF's ECU with his and the serial numbers were nothing like mine. Now I cant for the life of me remember how this was resolved and as the guy has sadly passed away so can't ask him but I know it caused a lot of issues before it was finally sorted. Not saying that this typical of the service you get from them but, just be aware. I had my mapping done by SAWS Tuning and the guys there just plug in to your car , great service and no problems with the car. :yesnod:

John

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper.

TF disappointment 3 months 4 days ago #205693

Much appreciated, Nota, for your sage advice. And I appreciate your experience, sworks.
As I have a spare ECU, I might go to KMAPS for the fitting but need to save up pennies first.

Interestingly, KMAPS include on their MG TF website "MIL light removal"..........
A call to them might be revealing.

TF disappointment 3 months 3 days ago #205701

You might like to enquire with the SAWS tuning guys for a comparison . :yesnod:

TF disappointment 3 months 3 days ago #205702

Appreciated, sworks. I definitely will.

TF disappointment 3 months 2 days ago #205707

There are some very good reviews for SAWS and I think that they are cheaper than KMAPS.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

TF disappointment 3 months 1 day ago #205712

There are some very good reviews for SAWS and I think that they are cheaper than KMAPS.

Cheaper still if you have a pscan as they can provide a remap file you can load yourself. https://www.sawstuning.co.uk/pscan/

TF disappointment 3 months 1 day ago #205713

Indeed, Bruce. I have aforesaid p-scan in the armoury and not even scratched the surface yet.
I have emailed SAWS but would really like a chat with them. Let's see what they reply with.

TF disappointment 3 months 17 hours ago #205715

Indeed, Bruce. I have aforesaid p-scan in the armoury and not even scratched the surface yet.
I have emailed SAWS but would really like a chat with them. Let's see what they reply with.

Be sure to let us know how you get on with this. I, for one, have been thinking about doing it.

Last edit: Post by BruceTF135.

TF disappointment 3 months 8 hours ago #205718

Certainly will.
I will not do anything before I work out what each of the ECU'S are set to.
Needs a bit of p-scan investigation.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT