Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Battery Maintenance 10 months 18 hours ago #203257

Getting a few mixed signals as to what I should do when my MGF is not going to be used for around six months.
My preference is to just disconnect the battery. Have had problems with a previous car using a trickle charger.
Some say it messes up the Computer system and or causes problems with the immobilizer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Battery Maintenance 10 months 15 hours ago #203259

I’ve had no problems with disconnecting the battery on my F with the Lucas 5AS system for extended periods.
It’s necessary for me to disconnect the battery because the stupid alarm/immobiliser system drains the battery, killing it.
I’d like to bin it but it’s fairly integrated into the car’s systems. And I haven’t got the time or the headspace at the moment to figure it out.

I’ve always hated alarms…….never seen one that’s worth 2 knobs of goatshit, damned things are a never ending source of trouble, and when some scumbag scrote is knocking you car off, either no one pays any attention to the alarm ( the only time they do is when it’s a false alarm ) or it’s the one time the damned thing won’t go off…….probably because it’s already drained the battery and drained it’s backup battery too!

Well you might say that it still saved the bloody car from being stolen because it won’t start but it doesn’t prevent any damage from being done by the wworthless cretinous dipshit waste of oxygen that’s breaking in to your pride and joy

I have successfully by passed the stupid security system in my Ford Ute, the remote locking doesn’t work anymore but it’s no great labour to use the key to get in…… I need the key to drive it anyway so it’s already in my hand as the remote would need to be anyway so I fail to see much point in remote locking…….. I rarely lock the damned thing anyway, only when I’m off my home turf.

Although it’s mechanically perfect, the Ute looks such a heap of shit, no one is likely to bother stealing it and all the local dickheads know not to mess with me or my shit……mind you as I’m moving soon I guess I’ll need to enlighten a whole new bunch of local turds the benefits in pain management to be gained from leaving me and mine alone.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Toyman

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Battery Maintenance 10 months 7 hours ago #203260

I have a TF with the Lucas system and often disconnect the battery sometimes for extended periods and have never had a problem, the Lucas system doesn't seem as sensitive.

Battery Maintenance 10 months 6 hours ago #203261

Lucas system is not sensitive. You can disconnect the car battery if you have Lucas system. However you need to remember that you need to resync all fobs when you reconnect the battery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Toyman

Last edit: Post by Roverlike.

Battery Maintenance 10 months 4 hours ago #203264

If you are going to leave it on a trickle charger/ battery conditioner make sure its a good one designed to be left permanently connected. I left my old MGB on one for several weeks only to find it had pretty much boiled the battery. If i were to use one again i would put it on a timer to ensure the battery would only get a short period of charge a day.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT