Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Window will not go up - yet motor and mechanism are fine 10 months 6 days ago #202975

This one has me puzzled...

My passenger side window will go down, but not go up. And the motor seems completely fine.

Took the mechanism with motor out from the door.

If I reverse the polarity, the motor will rotate in the upwards direction, and not downwards. If I attach the wires directly to the car battery, it rotates fine in either direction, depending on the polarity.
Measuring the voltage of the wires going to the motor shows nothing suspicious: plus or minus 12V, depending on whether I press the window up or down switch...

What on earth could this be??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Window will not go up - yet motor and mechanism are fine 10 months 6 days ago #202976

Have you tried the switch from the other side or if you have the switch off try it on the drivers side to see if you have the same fault!
The following user(s) said Thank You: j0ris

Window will not go up - yet motor and mechanism are fine 10 months 6 days ago #202980

I betting that the switch has shitty contacts
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: j0ris

Window will not go up - yet motor and mechanism are fine 10 months 6 days ago #202981

Will try switching the switches. Thanks for the quick suggestion!

Last edit: Post by j0ris.

Window will not go up - yet motor and mechanism are fine 10 months 3 days ago #203002

So, was it just the switch ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Window will not go up - yet motor and mechanism are fine 10 months 3 days ago #203005

It was indeed just the switch... thanks again Cobber & TaffD.

Obviously I do feel a bit silly for not having started by swapping the switches first, the absolute easiest thing to do.

Hopefully I can just clean the contacts of this switch and get it working properly again. Cobber helpfully described that process here
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notanumber

Window will not go up - yet motor and mechanism are fine 10 months 2 days ago #203018

Glad to hear you have identified the issue. Hope cleaning up the contacts works.

Window will not go up - yet motor and mechanism are fine 10 months 1 day ago #203046

I managed to clean the contacts - switch works great again!

There was a lot of blackish dirt in there. I used a small flathead screwdriver and some tissue with isopropanol alcohol.

Reinstalled the mechanism and door trim, and window works again. Time for a beer and a spin (in no particular order)!

Window will not go up - yet motor and mechanism are fine 9 months 3 weeks ago #203095

Thats a great result.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT