Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

No sound from stereo 1 year 4 months ago #200786

Hi.
I wonder if anyone knows the answer.
I have a very annoying intermittent fault. Every so often, the sound goes on the stereo. Stays lit but just no sound. When you turn the engine off and you are meant to get the audible tones, they don't sound either. I've changed the stereo thinking that was at fault, plus the wiring loom at the back of the stereo.
Still a problem. Any ideas as this has got me baffled.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

No sound from stereo 1 year 4 months ago #200788

Well it depends upon your choice of music, for rap, disco, k pop, techno, talkback radio and Chinese opera, to name a few………a silent stereo would be a blessing I’d ‘ve thought. The best stereo tunes are played by those 2 tubular speakers under the car at the back…… they play smokin’ tunes!

So if the head unit stays lit up, then there are a few possibilities:

#1 on the shit parade would be crap speaker wire connections. Not only at the back of the head unit, but also on the long torturous route from the head unit to the speakers, as from what I gather both channels go walkabout at the same time so if that is the case then it’s unlikely to be at the doors or the speakers themselves as you’d expect only one side to go MIA at a time, so there is probably a common connection point that both channels use.

And staying with the shit n crap theme…..#2s would be an amplifier ( if fitted )
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

No sound from stereo 1 year 4 months ago #200810

Hi.
I wonder if anyone knows the answer.
I have a very annoying intermittent fault. Every so often, the sound goes on the stereo. Stays lit but just no sound. When you turn the engine off and you are meant to get the audible tones, they don't sound either. I've changed the stereo thinking that was at fault, plus the wiring loom at the back of the stereo.
Still a problem. Any ideas as this has got me baffled.

Sounds like a problem with the two black connectors behind the front dash (loose connection). Easy to get to, either from the left side or by taking the head unit out.

No sound from stereo 1 year 4 months ago #200816

Not sure if I'm reading this right, are you saying that you have tried 2 different units and both exhibit the same fault?
If so my money would be on the connector block and not the stereo side but the car one, I would carefully check that out and maybe apply some contact cleaner. Before putting it back together you could try tying a bit of string to the block then if it reoccurs and a "gentle" tug on the string restores the sound at least it would confirm the cause.

No sound from stereo 1 year 4 months ago #200863

Yes you read it right.
I have also changed the ISO leads so I guessed it might go deeper.
I am wondering whether to call in an auto electrician at some point. I'm not actually too worried, but when it stops working, I miss the beeps from the back when I take the key out!
Thankyou for replying

No sound from stereo 1 year 3 months ago #200959

Were both head units the same model?
What model/s was/were the head unit/s?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT