Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Door handle replacement 1 year 11 months ago #199085

I'm in the throes of replacing the driver's side door handle (Came orf in me 'and gov'nor) following the excellent guides here. But there's a hitch. Awkward screws are out, the green clip is disengaged and that rod is free. But the second rod from the key part of the lock down to the actuator, which should just pull out, is actually hooked through at the lower end and has a 'dog-leg' through the key part of the lock which means you'd have to twist the whole assembly through 90° to slide it off. There doesn't seem to be room to wriggle it free. Am I doing something wrong or not wriggling enough?
It's an early TF (November 2002) so is this a hangover from the F system? 
Any help much appreciated. 

(And apologies for a long absence from the Forum. Lack of use brought on by house move,  Covid and a poor summer last year was brought into sharp focus at our bi-annual CT (French Mot) when I discovered  under 2,000 miles in two years. Must try harder) 

Edit in brighter light. Looks as though the nylon grommet and rod might push out the side, towards the door skin? 

What's that black canvas thing behind the seats for?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by FrenchTF. Reason: Thoughts in brighter light

Door handle replacement 1 year 11 months ago #199094

I can remember struggling with this and I 'think' I loosened the lock mechanism from the door to make it easier. 

I'm going to have to revisit this problem myself as the passenger handle is not working anymore...
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Door handle replacement 1 year 11 months ago #199103

Thanks David, I'll give that a try. 

Door handle replacement 1 year 11 months ago #199106

some seats had map holders I think my MGF did but not my TF
French TF they are really that awful to remove on a TF, not so on the earlier F

Mike

Door handle replacement 1 year 11 months ago #199133

Fixed! The secret is to remove the lock from the handle by releasing the catch which holds it into the handle (push the metal spring clip up, it will only go up as far as it needs to) before trying to remove the handle assembly .The lock comes out complete with the attached rod.
When replacing it’s easier to start to guide the lock back into the handle before pushing the handle assembly completely home. It's a right fiddle as space is really tight! 
No problem removing or replacing the two 8mm holding bolts - 1/4 drive socket with extension (actually further lengthened with a reducer and 3/8 extension). Fill the socket with grease to hold the bolt in place. 
​​​​​
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Door handle replacement 1 year 11 months ago #199160

well done, I will make a note of your procedure

Mike

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT