Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Drivers window won't open 5 years 2 months ago #189553

Morning all,

Jumped in the MGF this morning for work and all was well on my commute until I got onto the M4, where I noticed a greater level of wind noise than I would have expected. A quick look around showed that the gap around the drivers window is larger than usual.

Once safely in the work carpark, I had a quick fiddle with it. The window goes up maybe 5mm, and down by the same amount. Downward pressure doesn't help at all. I haven't stripped off the door card yet, that will have to wait until I get home.

Google-fu leads me to believe that the door glass has passed the glass stop, and the stop is now preventing the window from dropping won correctly. Am I right in thinking that the window can probably be eased back past the stop but that the stop will almost certainly need replacing?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Drivers window won't open 5 years 2 months ago #189554

Yep. You've figured it out correctly! It used to happen more frequently but they upgraded the Stop to help thus issue.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: TaffMGF

Drivers window won't open 5 years 2 months ago #189555

Cheers, sir.

I'm guessing there is a temperay measure that can see through until the new stop arrives? All my other cars are being fixed at the moment!

Drivers window won't open 5 years 2 months ago #189557

Yep. Ease it back passed the stop, and then don't use the window until the new stop arrives, lol.
David
:shrug:

Drivers window won't open 5 years 2 months ago #189575

that was stress free.

Stripping the door card off is fairly easy, care taken prevents the clips getting broken. The membrane showed signs of having been disturbed before and the glass stop is of the new type. The glass stop had somehow climbed over door stop, if that makes sense?

I undid the forward door stop and operated the elec window switch, allowing the glass to drop back into place. Then refitted the door glass stop and closed the window, which promptly climbed over the stop again!

A couple of goes at adjusting it got it to a point where it was stopping as it should. I then closed the roof to check the seal, looks ok but I suppose I'll have to wait until it rains again.

Not entirely sure about a long-term solution. The newer stop is already in place, it doesn't look excessively worn or anything. My inclination is to suck it and see, if it climbs over again then I might extend the lip on the door glass stop by 5 mm or so?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT