Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Rusty engine access panel on bulkhead behind seats on TF 6 years 10 months ago #178691

Just trying to resolve the causes of damp carpets; so took the seats out, (battery disconnected), and stripped out the carpet by cutting carefully round the consul. I didn't want to take the consul out, but I may have to anyway.
I discovered water in the front foot wells and behind the seats which I'm sure is coming in from outside, so now just checking round to find the leak(s). Now I have hopefully resealed the usual suspects, the air intake snorkel and the blanking plate for left hand drive cars, has anyone got any more just so I can save a bit of time?
I have also noticed that the rear access panel forming the bulkhead behind the seats is very rusty at the bottom in fact the bottom bolts took some persuading to come out, this cannot be due to water creeping up the underlay from the floor surely?
Its looking like I will need to remove the consul now so I can remove the panel to clean that up and paint it, probably need replacement carpets as well as the foam underlay isn't very good.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Rusty engine access panel on bulkhead behind seats on TF 6 years 10 months ago #178700

On the TF I broke there was creeping rust on that panel, I thought it was coming up from the carpets.

The console isn't difficult to remove when a seat is out.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keymaster

Re:Rusty engine access panel on bulkhead behind seats on TF 6 years 10 months ago #178707

Check underneath the car holes, missing bungs, water building up in sills, weak jack points, should not be coming in via the snorkel unless you go driving in lake's

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Keymaster

Re:Rusty engine access panel on bulkhead behind seats on TF 6 years 10 months ago #178723

Thanks chaps.
Consul now removed, straightforward enough.
I have also removed, cleaned, rustproofed and painted the panel with Hammerite, and I am now sure that water is not coming in from behind that as the plastic sheet behind the panel was intact.
Just to eliminate as many possible causes of leaks I have sealed what I can see on the front bulkhead, I even had the (bright) idea of putting a inspection light in the front, and then shut the bonnet just to see if any light came through into the cabin, but it didn't. I also sprinkled talc on the inside of the bulkhead; as this helped me track the water leak in the rear boot earlier.
It rained heavy during the night and guess what......a small puddle of water in the passenger foot well in front of the seat and by the sill. Its definitely not coming in from the front so it must be coming in from the side, then builds up and sloshes about to the back therefore rusting the rear panel.
No spare time today, but I will be back on the case tomorrow for a couple of hours, and I will be checking the drainage holes in the sills.

Re:Rusty engine access panel on bulkhead behind seats on TF 6 years 10 months ago #178742

Just an update, its looking like I will need a new door seal after all that head scratching, still its not cost me anything up to press. I sat in the car while my wife doused the car from all angles and there is a small drip on the passenger side and its coming through where the glass meets the rubber, only seems to be when water is sprayed in a certain direction though.
Either way it will mean adjusting the door glass I suppose.

I couldn't find any signs of drain holes in the sills; so drilled a 6mm hole at each end, no water came out anyway.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT