Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Power upgrade options 7 years 4 months ago #174338

• Winko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Since buying Roxy I've steadily worked through her, so she now has a Kmaps ECU, Bilsteins, a TT exhaust, panel filter, sorted (for now) electrics and overhauled rear hubs, brakes and drive shafts. She's doing over 600 miles a week and giving a lot of pleasure. (Unlike the wife.)
Finding a TF135 with aircon in my preferred Nightfire Red colour took a long time, so I'd be reluctant to just sell her and buy a 160, especially as with what I've done she's probably knocking out towards 150 in current spec. However, I want more bottom/mid range power.
I think the choice is to either:
1. Drop the engine and convert it to 160 spec with a remap, the TT exhaust, cold air induction etc, overhauling the clutch / using a powder coated sub-frame etc at the same time, or
2. Completely overhaul and do a gas flow / cam / valve job on her current engine - plus the clutch/subframe.
Which route would you go...and if any of you are currently running a tuned engine, who did the work and what gains did you get?
Winko

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Power upgrade options 7 years 4 months ago #174340

It is much more cost effective to swap the engine for a 160. i would fit a 160 and get it mapped. :yesnod:

Going the modified route is very expensive and no guarantee of getting better BHP.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Winko

Power upgrade options 7 years 4 months ago #174351

What David said unless you have mega money and what to build a VHPD or Schroler (sp) and end up with something that is less pleasant to drive as a daily.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Power upgrade options 7 years 4 months ago #174352

Or how about a KV6 ;)

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Power upgrade options 7 years 4 months ago #174355

Or how about a KV6 ;)

Now that would be nice TC a proper GT

:beer: :beer: Steve

Power upgrade options 7 years 4 months ago #174357

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Not sure the TT is your best option if you are after power. There are exhausts with a better proven bhp increase.

Power upgrade options 7 years 4 months ago #174374

• Winko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hmmm. I'd forgotten about that and the guy who does the KV6 conversions - Chris Flanagan - isn't far from me..
Might have a chat with him.
Thanks for the thought starter.
W

Power upgrade options 7 years 4 months ago #174390

The kv6 is good BUT the 160 can get to 170 for little ££ and the 160 will do 35-45 mpg the KV6 won't and it is a cheaper mod
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Power upgrade options 7 years 4 months ago #174393

Sorry Winko to hijack your topic, but I'm having problems creating a new topic All is fine when I log in and I can reply to topics but when I try to create a new one I'm asked to log out. I've had this problem for three days now.
Has anyone else got this problem?
Once again Winko sorry but I didn't know how else to contact anyone for help.

:beer: :beer: Steve

Power upgrade options 7 years 4 months ago #174404

Try clearing your browser cache.:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Power upgrade options 7 years 4 months ago #174408

If you want more bottom & mid-range I don't think the 160 route is the answer as the VVC provides most of its gains at the top end. Yes, a KV6 would do what you want and you know who to speak to but I'd ask him to fess-up to the MPG first. A 1.8i turbo would also work and K-maps can get 200 BHP out of them but fitting the turbo in the F/TF is not easy and then there is the issue of getting rid of the heat which as we all know is not the F/TFs strong point - although some motor bike or computer fans on the boot outlet would help and have been done (Cobber has done it for example).

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Power upgrade options 7 years 4 months ago #174409

Winko,

Take a look at this: http://www.mjsautoandmarine.co.uk/turbo-conversions/

Wrong end of the country for you but may be the answer?

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT