Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Aerial 7 years 10 months ago #169604

Rover 45 and 25 have longer whips that fit, gives a better signal too.

Rover 25 45 400 420 MG ZR ZS Front Roof Aerial Antenna Antennen Mast AM 42cm New
Buy It Now

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, mgtfbluestreak

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Link added.

Aerial 7 years 10 months ago #169709

But this aerial is shorter than the standard aerial - 60cm. Have you tried this aerial? I have bought one and the reception is worse!!

Aerial 7 years 10 months ago #169710

If I remember right from my teenage years and cb and HAM radio, the aerial length is tuned to the wavelength of the signal to be received by its actual length (that's why its called wavelength). For correct FM reception the aerial need to be the correct length for the ideal reception, also the aerial is tuned to the body of the car or ground as it also makes a difference. For perfect or as good as it gets reception, the aerial for the MGTF will be sized correctly by the OEM. If you fit a shorter or longer aerial, then you will get worse reception in shadowy or fringe reception areas.
For the best signal, simply fit an aerial of original size and make sure it is properly grounded to the car body!

Frequency is the pulsed scramble of the signal that allows many stations to be transmitted on a particular wavelength and what allows your radio to lock onto separate stations on the band. Remember the old science lessons at school with a long slinky! Wave it from side to side gives you an oscillation or wavelength, push it in and out gives you frequency.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Leigh Ping

Aerial 7 years 10 months ago #169714

What is the original aerial length??
Agree with you Sundance
I've got 3 tf on the drive all with diferent aerials, so in the interest of "scientific" research have had a play this morning.
Stayed with tf115 fitted with a new Pioneer head unit and fitted the aerial described above, tuned to a weak frequency around mid-band. I could just just hear music.
Changed to a base loaded rubber type, same length similar to that fitted to hatchbacks. Slight improvement.
Then changed to a 77cm fibreglass whip. I've no idea where it came from and I'm fairly sure it isn't OEM. Brilliant is the best description.
Unfortunately the aerial that I believe is OEM has a snapped thread, it is 60cm long but can't be tested.
Dare I say SIZE matters
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.024 seconds