Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

watford gap 8 years 8 months ago #161648

Looking around a mgtf on a garage forcourt.....just for interest more than anything.............i noticed how well the new hood snugly fitted the car................but my hood is in very good condition.But is not as near a good fit................a watford gap you might say..........placing a torch inside the car shows what i mean better has the light shines thru the gap.

my question here to those with more experience is.............is it just a matter of adjusting the catches on the inside? or has the hood shrunk with not getting wet?......has this car is a dry day only car and a hardtop is used also.......................The gaps are equal both sides of the car hood .......would i be putting to much tension on the hood in other areas trying to close the gap..if you know what i mean? :P
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

watford gap 8 years 8 months ago #161651

Mine's the same and I had a go at closing by adjusting the 'turnbuckle' on each side but without much success tbh.

That said I don't seen to get any water ingress there
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

watford gap 8 years 8 months ago #161653

Mine's the same and I had a go at closing by adjusting the 'turnbuckle' on each side but without much success tbh.

That said I don't seen to get any water ingress there

Thanks for the quick reply......had a funny feeling it wasnt worth messing with the turnbuckles......

watford gap 8 years 8 months ago #161656

You can reduce the gap using the turnbuckles but it won't eliminate the gap completely.:shrug:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

Re:watford gap 8 years 8 months ago #161693

I drove mine from Chelmsford to Luton (1hr20) yesterday in the heavy rain we all had including an hour on the m25 with all kinds of spray and all that.

I've got the same little gaps all over the place but not a drop came in the car, even sat behind a heavy in a roadspray wet dream.

M.G. must have added a magic forcefield to the hood because goodness knows how I was dry when I got up there...

As well as that I've also got two little holes where the hood frame has worn above my head and above the passengers head that also dont seem to leak some how.

Magic I tell you.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Re:watford gap 8 years 8 months ago #161711

Little known facts about hoods.

The material is a triple layer sandwich with a waterproof membrane in the middle.

The top mohair layer is not meant to be waterproof.

It's is supposed to absorb the rainwater and wick it away from the windows.

This helps prevent the 'getting soaked when you get out of the car or open the window' syndrome.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re:watford gap 8 years 8 months ago #161718

They can fold down.

They can fold down when the sun isn't shining.

They can fold down at night.

On motorway journeys, whilst travelling in the rain, you don't get wet, unless you stop.

The roof can be put up, and down, from the drivers seat in around 3 seconds.

With the roof up, when parked in the sun, anything damp will dry out.

There is usually a pussy located under the roof, near the steering wheel. :lol:

watford gap 8 years 8 months ago #161719

On motorway journeys, whilst travelling in the rain, you don't get wet, unless you stop.

Oh dear that is simply not correct. ....................................... as I found out coming home from town the other week with the roof down. The rain came off the top and side of the windscreen soaking my right arm and at 60 MPH it was worse than at 40 mph.

Re:watford gap 8 years 8 months ago #161720

:hgf:

I drove mine from Chelmsford to Luton (1hr20) yesterday in the heavy rain we all had including an hour on the m25 with all kinds of spray and all that............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ B) .(.does traffic actually move on the m25?-it didn't when I was a driver!) :dry:

The following user(s) said Thank You: iKryten

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

watford gap 8 years 8 months ago #161722

Oh dear that is simply not correct. ....................................... as I found out coming home from town the other week with the roof down. The rain came off the top and side of the windscreen soaking my right arm and at 60 MPH it was worse than at 40 mph.

'Motorways'. ;) You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

Of course there's certain things that you can do to help you to keep drier, such as ensuring the water wicks away in a downwards direction on the door windows. You just have to tweak what's already fitted to the car. Things that have probably squashed out of shape a bit, like those spongey bits on the upper corners of the windscreen.

Driving from Cumbria, we had the roof down in belting rain and only caught for a few wild flecks of it. It's nice when it's warm, character building.. and a good laugh if you see a traffic build up in the distance.

watford gap 8 years 8 months ago #161723

How did everyone else's top down drive in the rain go? I'd be interested to know how they went. :)

Re:watford gap 8 years 8 months ago #161728

The roof can be put up, and down, from the drivers seat in around 3 seconds.

I dispute that, I've tried pulling the hood up like that BUT my fake roll hoops get in the way, sprained my back trying, it only takes about 10 seconds to jump out and flip the hood up.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT