Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Windscreeen problem 8 years 9 months ago #161201

Hello all, due to a login problem which simon has repaired for me i havent been around for a while but now im back i have a question to pose for you all.

My windscreen has a 6 inch or so long white streak on the passenger side (it was there when i bought it) and its bugging me as it just looks terrible. I can only assume its where the screen has come away from the sealant due to the rusty bit underneath

? Anyway, is it possible to remove the thin surround and put something in there to mask or hide it, something like a dye or black sealant or is it a replacement windscreen job? Im reluctant to replace it as it has the MG logo in the corner of it and i kind of like that, knowing its original.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Windscreeen problem 8 years 9 months ago #161202

Hi . What you are seeing is a de-lamination of the windscreen . In other words moisture has got in between the sandwich of glass , flexible layer and glass. There is no cure for it that I know of and it will only spread to become even more unsightly. The only way out I feel is to change the screen. I know what you mean about the MG logo , I would feel the same . John

Windscreeen problem 8 years 9 months ago #161203

Unfortunately it looks like the screen has suffered delamination and the white you see will be permanent. If the cars a keeper I would have the screen out and deal with the rust as it has probably put pressure on the side of the screen causing the current issue. You can pick up a good second hand genuine screen fairly easily.

Windscreeen problem 8 years 9 months ago #161204

Ok, thanks guys. My windscreen excess is £60 so is it worth maybe damaging the screen and getting a new one fitted via insurance do you think?

Windscreeen problem 8 years 9 months ago #161206

You wont get a genuine one.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Windscreeen problem 8 years 9 months ago #161210

Ok, thanks guys. My windscreen excess is £60 so is it worth maybe damaging the screen and getting a new one fitted via insurance do you think?

Isn't that what they call..Insurance Fraud? :tapfoot:

Windscreeen problem 8 years 9 months ago #161212

Isn't that what they call..Insurance Fraud? :tapfoot:

It depends who "they" are.............I call it getting something back from the thieving scumbags :lol:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Windscreeen problem 8 years 9 months ago #161213

Mine is like that on the drivers side, its water getting in, due to bad bonding originally when she was built touch wood, mine has not got any worse in the 8 years i have had the car.

you are very unlikely to get a screen now with the MG logo on it. and it is very unlikely that anyone will be willing to fit a secondhand screen that has been ''cut'' out of another car.

An Epsom club member had rust appearing on his W reg F around the screen and the bodyshop would not refit the old screen that they had cut out.

i am sure I saw a crack in your screen, :oops:

Windscreeen problem 8 years 9 months ago #161220

But if i range my insurance and said the windscreen is damaged, which it is, surely it would have to be replaced either way? Theres also a large scrape on the screen from previous wiper blades across the drivers side. The MOT blokey didnt mention it but its bloody irritating when driving it.

Windscreeen problem 8 years 9 months ago #161223

some sort of permanent marker colour it in black ??? stays on phone boxes etc in the rain ???
might make it less obvious

Last edit: Post by sherwood0_8.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT