Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Creaky boot hinge 8 years 9 months ago #160506

Hi All

A silly question to have to ask, but I'm new to MGFs & I'm hoping someone will have a quick answer.

The boot hinge on the left side really creaks when the lid is about halfway down onwards and uses the lid to amplify it to a quite impressive degree.
I've squirted lithium grease up into what looks like a coil spring on the outside of the hinge from every angle & into every point where one bit touches another (or looks like it might).

What I'm wondering is whether this creak is a common thing & where on the hinge it emanates from - I'm hoping not to have to remove the hinge just to shut it up.

Many thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Creaky boot hinge 8 years 9 months ago #160509

Hi, :welcome2:

It is indeed quite a common occurrence to have creaky boot hinges. I did the same as you and actually cured the creak.

I'm not sure where the creak was coming from, but unfortunately, the boot lid developed an alarming tendency to drop on my head after I'd stopped the annoying noise!

Sometimes you just can't win.:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Creaky boot hinge 8 years 9 months ago #160512

:welcome: No questions on here are considerd silly......its great to answer questions.that ive asked myself.........yes asked this same question a while back........i sprayed mine with wd40........and worked the boot up and down with an occasional respray.......when i say moved the boot up and down......i mean at least 50 times and the noise easies off to a more pleasent sound.........dont just spray and expect it to just happen.........give that boot a good workout........after the wd40 and getting the boot creek free....i sprayed on some grease :P

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Creaky boot hinge 8 years 9 months ago #160527

On mine it was the very top most part of the hinge which is a bit of a blighter to get grease, even spray grease, onto.

Creaky boot hinge 8 years 9 months ago #160540

I smeared loads of bearing grease around the springs on my more recently aquired F as I was concerned that the springs were so dry they were going to fail.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Creaky boot hinge 8 years 9 months ago #160550

my bootld was so creaky..........it uesd to make next doors rotties go into a mad barking session :coat: ............

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Creaky boot hinge 1 month 1 week ago #206171

Thanks for all this.
I have the same problem and although removal of the boot lid was on the cards its good to know I may not have to.
Simply because my guess is realignment of the lid would be a bit of a bu88er.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT