Sign In   Register

Topic

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155470

There were some good bits in 8? (Googling 'Window 8 is rubbish gives 'About 2,390,000 results'!)

Elvis is alive get 9.3 million hits. What's your point?

:hgf:

I think the point is that it's unlikely that 2,390,000 could be wrong. :)

Anyway, Win10 will have a keylogger that will send all your keyboard strokes to GCHQ, Mi5, CIA, etc. It'll stop terrorism you know. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob, FrenchTF

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155475

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
The free upgrade is the first step of Microsoft moving from charging for an OS to making revenue from apps , from windows 10 onwards we shouldn't be seeing further major releases of windows, what we traditionally think of a new version will put out as a service pack instead. Expectations are 1 maybe 2 update packs a year, soon as MS have it ready you'll get the technology jump instead of wait 3- 4 years for a major.
Not mentioned often but one interesting thing is the foot print of 10 should be smaller than 8 , which in turn was smaller than 7 , each version is becoming more efficient on the same hardware.

I'm awaiting Spartan that'll spark some debates, what I've seen of it so far ( Got a ten minute play the other day) its looking good
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155481

I've been running the first preview build on my little AMD powered HP DM1 Work Laptop and it is a million times better than 7 was on it. It boots quicker, doesn't crash, and I am looking forward to the latest release being made available so I can get Cortana on it!

At work I manage the 'IT Stuff' as my Director likes to call it. Everyone is using 7 Pro apart from me. I have 8.1 on my 7 year old Development rig and it is easily the machine that has less problems. It never has network issues, is left on for weeks on end, is far more productive than most of the 7 machines, and so far I haven't found anything that wont run on it. Even one of my ancient VPN packages works... which it didn't very well on the original 8 build.

I still think it's the jarring of Metro that puts people off... yet those same people seem to moan that MS hasn't done anything innovative for years! What do people want? Stagnation or new technology?

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155484

What do people want? Stagnation or new technology?

User friendliness would have been a good start Adam. :yesnod: I'm sure that it's ok once you get through the honeymoon period. It's just a little awkward at first for my liking and I like to think that I'm a fairly advanced user.

Still, some innovations bomb more than others.

Attachments:

Re:Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155495

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis

... but I don't think my next PC is going to be windows based tbh.

come on Robin, you know you want it! Don't fight! :whistle:

brand new iMac for sale
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155496

Microsoft has a history of alternating good OS with bad OS. So if you have a goodish one (I'm on Windows 7), avoid 8 and wait for 9 (where is 9?)

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155497

User friendliness would have been a good start Adam. :yesnod: I'm sure that it's ok once you get through the honeymoon period. It's just a little awkward at first for my liking and I like to think that I'm a fairly advanced user.

I have a C5 in my shed - used to drive it to and from work!

Re:Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155500

... but I don't think my next PC is going to be windows based tbh.

come on Robin, you know you want it! Don't fight! :whistle:

brand new iMac for sale

I do Rob, I do but I've got a big expense coming up in the next couple of weeks :coat:
Robin ;)

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155504

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX

I have a C5 in my shed - used to drive it to and from work!

C5's are on my Ebay watch list, But so far all the projects ones are all ways to far up the country for something I'll have to hide from the Mrs

Last edit: Post by psymon.

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155512

C5's are on my Ebay watch list, But so far all the projects ones are all ways to far up the country for something I'll have to hide from the Mrs

Bought mine brand new with £199 lent from my Grandad (Comet fire sale) - who died the month after - so I keep it for nostalgia. This year I'll get it out from under it's covers and strip and make sure all is fine. It is great fun to ride in!

Back on W10 - I am installing the latest build with Cortana included on my lappy as we speak!

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155516

Back on W10 - I am installing the latest build with Cortana included on my lappy as we speak!

I thought Cortana was a Windows Mobile app.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155518

When XP came out everyone was moaning that it was so different!!
When Vista came out everyone was moaning that it was so different......... Yeah well it was crap actually ;)
Windows 7, can't see any major problems with it as I don't see any major problems with 8.1 either (I run both at home and at work).
The main problem is the operator (ducks and takes cover :) ) and by that I mean as in the operator just not knowing (or learning) their way around things and with it being different. There are guides (as there has been for ALL changes before) either in book form or in videos on YouTube.
I haven't had a go with 10 yet, so I'll wait for my free upgrade and see how it goes.
OH, and don't forget anyone that is still running Windows 8, you should of upgraded to 8.1 for free already :)

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT