Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Shipping things in from America 9 years 4 months ago #154666

• bensewell's Avatar Topic Author
  • bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
I've got my eye on some computer equipment from America as its about 6x the cost in this country.

If i bought said equipment, which is secondhand and retails at about $100 in total would I get ripped off at this end with tax?

I know some of you supermodders will have done such a task before :)

Any pointers?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Shipping things in from America 9 years 4 months ago #154667

I would expect £20 or £30 but it depends on the declaration on the customs note, different rates of duties apply to different goods.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Shipping things in from America 9 years 4 months ago #154668

Technically, and officially, you will get charged the VAT on your "import" regardless of it being new, second hand, a gift etc.

Some items also incur an additional customs charge, and will depend upon what it is (most obvious example is tobacco).

You will also be hit by an "administrative" charge by the UK handling company (courier) which can vary from £10 to £30+

You might also get lucky and avoid all these charges :nonod:

A good customs declaration can help avoid, or reduce these charges, but if the parcel goes missing, insurance will be based upon the declaration!

I occasional buy electronic equipment from USA, but is has to be unavailable in the UK to make it worth the hassle.

Peter

Shipping things in from America 9 years 4 months ago #154669

Only one thing to add to the above is that VAT normally 20% is payable on the total cost of the goods plus freight plus duty plus charges....I've imported quite a bit of stuff over the years and the VAT sucks..as does the £8 flat fee for collecting it from Royal Mail or the £13.50 that Parcel Force sting you... :rant:
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Shipping things in from America 9 years 4 months ago #154670

:nonod: Bloody hell! They take you lot for a ride! :omg:
Here we only have to pay your normal postage/freight costs and 10% GST (goods & services tax, the equivelent to your VAT) only if the price of your goods to you is more than A$1000.

Custom duties don't apply except in limited circumstances.

And Auspost doesn't charge you for picking up your goods from the post office as it saves them the trouble of delivering them to your door and no one charges an "administerive charge" either.

There has been a lot of whinging from the retail sector about the $1000 threshold, but the government considers that it would end up costing them more in admin, than the revenue they'd receive out of a lower threshold.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gerry

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Shipping things in from America 9 years 4 months ago #154671

Ben , no customs duty if less than £135 in value but you will be liable to VAT which the PO will collect and charge you for the service.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Re:Shipping things in from America 9 years 3 months ago #154908

From Countries outside the EU (the Channel Islands are not in EU) Goods under £15 or gifts under £36 are exempt otherwise a Customs charge of 20 % vat plus handling fee. Royal Mail charge £8 parcel force £13.50 is payable . Other carriers will vary.

Customs do not pick everything up though. You may get away with it. Do You feel lucky?

Last edit: Post by alanrt54.

Re:Shipping things in from America 9 years 3 months ago #154928

Looks like Parcel Force may have a graduated charging system coz on Friday I only got charged £8 for picking up my parcel from the USA. £27 in VAT mind you but not the normal £13.50 I've become used to..either that or they have reduced their charges..maybe not.. :yesnod:
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Last edit: Post by Fatbaldingoldgit.

Re:Shipping things in from America 9 years 3 months ago #154996

• bensewell's Avatar Topic Author
  • bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
I didn't bother in the end, didnt know the full cost so backed out.

Tar anyway.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT