Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Engine upgrade (and midlife update) advice please? 9 years 4 months ago #154510

At this moment I'm looking for this engine:
Will be released in february / march from a Lotus Elise, in which the original engine wil be refitted.
A tuned engine rover k series by DVA Power.
Engine delivers 185pk and had run after building for about 80,000 km. (and 110.000 before rebuild)
Flowed cylinder head by Dave Andrews, Piper camshafts, Omega pistons, Reinforced connecting rods, Original crankshaft, New cylinder liners,
Lighter flywheel, Ap link, Jenvey throttle body's, Bernard's airbox, Remote thermostat

Also a Laminova oil cooler and Emerald ECU mapped by Dave Walker.

This for 1960 Bpound (€2500)

This should fit in a MGF, but I never heard of the company :oops:
Is this engine worth this money, as I see that the parts alone are more costly than I would pay for the offered package?
And probably a noob question, but a K series engine, upgraded to this level, is it still as reliable as it is standard or has it become burned down at this milage?

I asume if I have the old engine repaired it wil cost me just as much, if the parts that have been worn / run hot are replaced.
While this one is a totally upgraded and ready to fit solution (I think)
As I see the km driven with this engine I asume it needs a new timingbelt and a 80.000 km service job before its builded in.

If I buy this engine, then it would also be conveniant to get the polybushes done at the same time, although more HP means it needs more stoppingpower first, so 17" rims should be fitted to house the bigger brakes. (€2000, rims, tires, discs and brakes)

Because everything is open at this point and the hydragasunits are deteriorating, I was advised to have TF subframes fitted instead of dodgy springconversions.
The chairs, cloth and all padding are rather jaded by the moist atmosphere due to inter alia the leaking airduct, so replace that as well..(€ :-? )

Whilst everything is ripped out, the slick shifter would be a breeze to fit in, and after exchanging the waterpiping for it's inox counterpart a winterresistant bodysuit underneath would complete the job (€600)
To have it watertight again the hood has also te be replaced as its stretched out and blows up like an old motorjacket not to mention the cracked plastic window. (€800)

Did i forget anything? :pop:
At this point it's quite a costly midlife update..

Or, should I trade it in for a MGF with a few less milage?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Engine upgrade (and midlife update) advice please? 9 years 4 months ago #154523

Personally I wouldn't spend that much money on an engine that old, you could spent less upgrading to get the same result.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Engine upgrade (and midlife update) advice please? 9 years 4 months ago #154531

I too would not spend that money on an engine that old :nonod:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobold

Engine upgrade (and midlife update) advice please? 9 years 4 months ago #154535

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Here is the site for DVA. Loads of info, but if you are interested it would be worth phoning as I think the prices are out of date.

http://www.dvapower.co.uk/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobold

Engine upgrade (and midlife update) advice please? 9 years 4 months ago #154561

You won't get a head flowed by DVA before June 2015 as he is booked up. I asked on Monday. A big valve head with Piper cams, vernier cam wheels will cost you around £2400. Then check the price of used jenveys :omg: .

Engine upgrade (and midlife update) advice please? 9 years 4 months ago #154641

Sourcing either the Titans or the Jenveys second hand is a struggle.. And as many Lotus guys want them the prices remain high

Tony has a 1.8 with 285 cams and Jenveys on a Sabre head.. And it's making 207bhp.. And goes like a rocket..

Few guys now building supercharged engines with the Hanger 111 kits.. But again not cheap

MJS claim 200 BHP from their turbo transplant but I understand this is a guesstimate and not an actual proven figure

+200 Bhp will never be cheap.. But there are plenty of routes that will get you there
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Re:Engine upgrade (and midlife update) advice please? 9 years 4 months ago #154672

lover of our mark but sounds like you could be buying someone elses trouble if its had the mods you speake of i would of thought that it hasnt been used to take little penelope to sunday school its more likely had the ass blown out of it and as such all internals would of encountered quite a bit of stress thus you could be be diging a money pit! our cars are what they are for 245 bhp you could get a boxster poss for same outlay in cash terms id be tempted to keep it simple good luck!

Sent from my iPad using TapQ

Re:Engine upgrade (and midlife update) advice please? 9 years 4 months ago #154673

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Not everyone wants a Boxter.

Re:Engine upgrade (and midlife update) advice please? 9 years 4 months ago #154680

true and neither do i im at 180 bhp roughly and thats plenty with minor tweeking its all about how much bang you get for the least outlay at end of day and knocking on 5 grand poss is not cost effective

Sent from my iPad using TapQ

Re:Engine upgrade (and midlife update) advice please? 9 years 4 months ago #154713

Not everyone wants a Boxter.

Nope although the early ones were not bad looking motors. However it seems they also sufer HGF and when they do it don't cost a few hundred quid to fix.

Mind you Porsche has always been one to rip off the customer on prices. I recall being interesed in a 924 when I was younger and earning reasonable money. An old friend who was a mechanic suggested I check out servicing prices and the prices for everyday service items. The 924 it seems used an odd sized spark plug, obviously a deliberate ploy by Porsche, and even back then they cost £18 each. For £18 one could have a complete exhaust system and an oil and filter change on a Mk111 Cortina. The air filter element again was stupid money and about 10x a normal one. Again a special size only for Porsche and so it went on. Although I liked the car I was not prepared to be ripped off like this so never bothered any further. A few years laster an old school friend upgraded from his customised and slightly tuned Beatle to an import LHD 911. Ater a year or so it was smoking a bit so needed the heads rebuilt. he showed a small pile of parts in his cupped hands. They were valve seals and cam shaft seals nowt else and they cost nigh on £200. He also found that the cams had worn so needed replacing.

Luckily he knew someone whom raced 911's and who bought write offs for parts so it was in fact cheaper to buy a slightly larger newer engine than the cam shafts. He also bought an fitted a drivers racing harness after the seat belt packed up. A new racing harnes was about 1/4 of the price of the Porsche inertia belt. He finally called it quits and traded it in for a slightly newer one as the old one was just a money pit.

I seriously doubt Porsche has changed their ideas of ripping custoners off so even if I won the lottery I would not be buying one.

Last edit: Post by Plezier. Reason: typos and spelling

Engine upgrade (and midlife update) advice please? 9 years 4 months ago #154718

The other reason that a puts me off the Porsche, is the average owner.
This old joke sums it up.
Q: How do you tell the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche?
A: Unlike the Porsche, the porcupine has the pricks on the outside!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Engine upgrade (and midlife update) advice please? 9 years 3 months ago #155118

The verdict from the garage has fallen, the engine is "beyond repair / economycaly unsalvageable" due to worn crankshaft and piston bearings.
I've found another '98 F with only 88000km on the clock suffering from the HGF disease... bought it for €850,- and with the same ammount for new headgasket and timingbelt it should be crisp & fresh again..
The trusthworthy old F will be used for parts..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT