Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Brake servo movement and more 10 years 3 months ago #137649

This issue (servo bracket deflection) is well known and covered by several 3D and upgradings BUT probably nobody has checked the deflection of the other side of the mechanism the support of the shaft connected to thepedal plunger !!
I was looking to manufacture a servo bracket, so I decided to measure the amount of the deflection (to evaluate the final improvement), I installed a dial gauge with magnetic support, the contact plunger directly on the head of the brake pump (in order to measure the full movement) 1 rev of the dial = 1 mm
well I measured 0,75 mm deflection under hard braking force.
then I asked myself, how does the other side (pedal/driver), it also has to move !
I put the contact plunger of the dial on the steel L bracket (with the bearing/bushing for the shaft)
whow 1,15 mm of deflection !!!!
I uploaded the video on my FB page, use ful screen: https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10202813820216166&set=vb.1520818402&type=2&theater
The parts seem to move more than 1 mm, I'm confidents of the measurement reliability.
So we have also to strength the other side (driver) where the deflection is even bigger.
I'd share your advice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brake servo movement and more 10 years 3 months ago #137676

Patrizio, That is very interesting to see the deflection at that point too. Do you see a way to brace that end?:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Brake servo movement and more 10 years 3 months ago #137946

[img] [IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2hnrvwi.jpg[/img][/img]
Here I show how I measured the deflection, installing the dial probe directly on the bulkhead and brake pump

Brake servo movement and more 10 years 3 months ago #137947

For video try again using this FB link now it's public
https://www.facebook.com/patrizio.dessi.7?ref=tn_tnmn#!/photo.php?v=10202813820216166&set=vb.1520818402&type=2&theater

Brake servo movement and more 10 years 3 months ago #137950

Servo brackets are available for £30 delivered UK
Jaylad on .org makes them in batches from laser cut stainless steel and painted black.

Brake servo movement and more 10 years 3 months ago #137951

Those brackets effectively stiffen the servo end, :yesnod: but I don't know how the other end's deflection is reduced by it.
David

Brake servo movement and more 10 years 3 months ago #137955

I report the development and my curret idea
The “CJJ/Jaylad aftermarket” bracket trasforms the effort, generated during braking by the leverage to servo/brake pump assembly, in a torque bending of the upper sheet of the bulkhead. The bracket is bolted to the 3 holes for the snorkel, there is like a protruding wing, the bulkhead metal sheet is very thin, more it has been weakened by the 2 big rectangular holes for the LHD/RHD air inlet.
Due to weakeness of the upper bulkhead sheet the bracket, even it's properly done and strong, still has some movement, but this is normal being a beam with just one flexible support.
The first solution I studied was to develop a new bracket with large upper flange to copy the snorkel flange, may be 3 mm stainless steel, in order to share the load on a larger surface and not just on the front 3 bolts.
Than I was looking for some kind of shaft strut, suitable to tansfer the load to a stronger chassis member, but I saw that i.e. the battery/barke modulator box is not enough strong, all the metal sheets there are very thin and flexible.
At this point I investigated the deflection of the other side (driver) measuring a bigger deformation (1,25). Then I asked how use the front subframe crossmember, it's strong enough.
The attached picture shows my current proposal, a bracket that shares the load 50% +/- with the upper bulkhead (using 1 or 2 of the 3 holes) and the other 50% with the main subframe (1 or 2 * 6 mm holes have to be drilled in the upper wing of the C cross member frame), I guess that my sketch will clarify the proposal. The bracket will act as a beam with 2 support, without torque effect.
Open to your suggestions and comments, scope to find a simple and effcetive solution easy to be fitted

Brake servo movement and more 10 years 2 months ago #138776

Today I installed the bracket for the driver side of the , to reinforce the "bracket assembly- cross tube mounting".
The only mod is a 6mm drilled hole in the front suframe cross member

Everybody can copy and use for personal application, but not for business scope.

Brake servo movement and more 10 years 2 months ago #138777

The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Brake servo movement and more 10 years 2 months ago #138780

Very neat answer. :yesnod:
Do you have a video of the reduced movement?
David

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT