Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Polished Petrol Cap Ring 10 years 11 months ago #116682

I popped to Lidl today to pick up a new Multi-Tool - luckily today they had them for £19.99 and they are rechargeable too!

Anyway got it home and went to take it up the shed with the polishing wheels I also picked up (and the ratchets and extension bars etc as well! LOL). On the bench staring at me was Fleur's old Petrol cap ring from when I broke her up. I thought... 'Hmm wonder if that will clean up?'...

Well about an hour later it looked like this:

Not bad - could do with a tiny bit more polishing, but then a couple of coats of acrylic gloss and I think it will look as good as a chrome one!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Polished Petrol Cap Ring 10 years 11 months ago #116684

I did mine by hand!! :bang:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Polished Petrol Cap Ring 10 years 11 months ago #116688

I like 'before and after' pics best Adam. But, even so, it looks like a great result. :broon:

Polished Petrol Cap Ring 10 years 11 months ago #116689

I like 'before and after' pics best Adam. But, even so, it looks like a great result. :broon:

Before was just boring silver typical look - so I didn't bother... :whistle:

Polished Petrol Cap Ring 10 years 11 months ago #116690

Lidl tools are great arnt they, I just picked up a saw the other day at least 50% of the cost anywhere else
"When faced with a choice of two evils, I always pick the one I haven't tried."

Polished Petrol Cap Ring 10 years 11 months ago #116692

Lidl tools are great arnt they, I just picked up a saw the other day at least 50% of the cost anywhere else

Agreed - I have quite a few. Plus they often have a 3 year guarantee which is handy.

Polished Petrol Cap Ring 10 years 11 months ago #116748

That is a really good job, I'd be happy with that and am tempted to give it a try before buying chrome now...That is, if none of my family has taken the massive hint that I'd like a chrome one for my birthday!

;)

Re: Polished Petrol Cap Ring 10 years 11 months ago #116752

That is a really good job, I'd be happy with that and am tempted to give it a try before buying chrome now.

Me too! :)

Re: Polished Petrol Cap Ring 10 years 11 months ago #116753

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
QUICK QUICK QUICK GET TO THE ALDI AT ONCE!

Polished Petrol Cap Ring 10 years 11 months ago #116756

Hehe - one great thing about polishing the alloy is that it cant go rusty like the chrome ones can! As long as you put a decent coat of gloss on top and seal it in that is! Now I am going to try polishing her old gear stick ring too, although that aint alloy I dont think!

I wonder what the hood clamps would polish up like?

Polished Petrol Cap Ring 10 years 11 months ago #116875

Now I am going to try polishing her old gear stick ring too, although that aint alloy I dont think!

I got a spare one so I can state that BOTH of our gear rings were painted alloy.
I've polished one up by hand with good but not amazing results, It's more of a 'Brushed alloy' finish than polished which suits the gear knob but I think it needs a good going over with Autosol to finish it off.

I'm going with the thinking of the petrol cap might need to be chromed for me though to match in with the deck finishers and door handles. Plus I'd like to keep the original bits if I ever revert to being a purist and putting the car back to being original again.

Polished Petrol Cap Ring 10 years 11 months ago #117338

Now I am going to try polishing her old gear stick ring too, although that aint alloy I dont think!

I got a spare one so I can state that BOTH of our gear rings were painted alloy.
I've polished one up by hand with good but not amazing results, It's more of a 'Brushed alloy' finish than polished which suits the gear knob but I think it needs a good going over with Autosol to finish it off.

I'm going with the thinking of the petrol cap might need to be chromed for me though to match in with the deck finishers and door handles. Plus I'd like to keep the original bits if I ever revert to being a purist and putting the car back to being original again.

I am of the opinion now it's fitted that there is no discernable difference between polished alloy and chrome, as the polished petrol cap ring matches my deck finishers perfectly - heres a couple of pics of it fitted:

I am very happy with the result and am now a third of the way through polishing the gear stick surround - which is coming up as shiny and 'chromey' as the petrol cap!

Oh forgot to mention - there's an EASY way to get the ring separated from the lock - forget all the dismantling ideas - simply pop the ring face down on a soft towel or blanket and then lift the rubber seal up. Pop a flat drift (I used a screwdriver that you can change the bits on - but without a bit in it!) againt the plastic under the rubber seal and tap it medium hard with a hammer - go round the ring like that and suddenly one of the clips will just pop loose - then follow round some more and the inner section will just release from the outer ring! Voila.

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT