Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Rust found - Solved 11 years 3 weeks ago #114538

Hi All,

Well the first thing I've really touched on Meg in months and I found some nasty stuff. Her MOT is due 5th of next month and I thought I'd have a scrub at the rusty rear arch front.. just in case.......

Well lucky I did as this was the result after an hour with an angle grinder and my multi-tool (which has since died!):

So anyway, as you can see I've cut out the rusty piece (inlcuding a lower piece I fitted a few years ago which had rusted!) and ground back to decent looking metal - luckily the inner sill is fine and so is the closing panel!

What I now have to do is pop on some Kurust this afternoon and then figure what to do about the 'patch'.

I was wondering if anyone is breaking an F with decent drivers side lower arch corner? If so is it possible to get i off? Other than that I guess it's try a scrap yard and theres only one by me that had an F months ago and it wasnt in the best shape (then how do i cut the panel part off?), or try and make a panel up with sheet metal but how the hell do I shape it?

Fingers crossed someone can help!

Ta

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Solved icon checked :)

Rust found - Help! 11 years 3 weeks ago #114539

• Visitor
  • Visitor
your best bet is to take your bit you have cut off and find a old style body shop or metal febricators.they will hopfully be able to shape the new bit.its a easy shape to do for an enginering company.cutting a bit off the scrap yard will just mean another rusty patch

Rust found - Help! 11 years 3 weeks ago #114540

Problem is that the part I took off fell apart - it was VERY rusty under the paint! :rant:

Rust found - Help! 11 years 3 weeks ago #114541

• Visitor
  • Visitor
well email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. let him know I put you in touch he may have a panel for you.

Rust found - Help! 11 years 3 weeks ago #114546

Will do thanks.

Rust found - Help! 11 years 3 weeks ago #114590

My car is in exactly the same state of sill repair. I have some 1mm panel steel sheets in the garage but I don't want to have to recreate that part myself with a hammer and a vice!

If you have any success mate let me know!

Regards,
Andy

Last edit: Post by benham.

Rust found - Help! 11 years 3 weeks ago #114621

My car is in exactly the same state of sill repair. I have some 1mm panel steel sheets in the garage but I don't want to have to recreate that part myself with a hammer and a vice!

Regards,
Andy

I can get a panel cut (about 10" of metal so plenty) from a late 2001 with no visible rust for £50 - not sure if thats good or bad!

Rust found - Help! 11 years 3 weeks ago #114691

OK - almost decided to go with this 10" cut for 50 quid as it's local to me. If I cut it to fit and get it ready for seam & pad welding, how much do people think a garage would charge to do the welding? I would do it but don't think I have enough time to do it with work etc!

Ta

Rust found - Help! 11 years 2 weeks ago #115111

Picked the panel cut up yesterday - nice condition silver F scrapped due to HGF!

The guys cut a larger than needed setion and last night I removed the inner sections and left just the outer skin. Not a spot of rust on the inside of the panel and the mearest of surface rust on the very lower edge of the sill lip. Half an hour of fettling with some sandpaper and its ready to prime then mark and cut to size!

I might get a local garage to weld it in for me as I can't be arsed if it's cheap enough for them to do it - will ask tomorrow.... pic of the panel cut tomorrow as I forgot to take any!

Rust found - Help! 11 years 2 weeks ago #115537

OK So I did a bit more on the rust yesterday-

Re-coated the inner sill area with my Hammerite rust proofer/primer:

As you can see there's no rust further inside the inner sill which is lucky!

I then trimmed the new panel area to just about 1cm bigger than the original cut out area and cleaned it edges and stuff:

I also rust proofed and primered the inside of this panel area (although there was no rust on it inside anyway!):

Then I marked round the new panel and cut the bodywork to fit (with my new £15 smaller angle grinder from Argos and £1.98 cutting discs from B&Q), then fitted it roughly to check everything:

Not a bad fit, even if I do say so myself! So tomorrow I will go chat to my local garage (he restores Triumphs) as he fitted my wheel bearing for me on the cheap, and see how much he will weld it in for. I will prepare the edges for him and remove all paint for 1cm round and mask it up to stop burning etc. Then sand back the areas of primer that he needs to weld together. Anything to save a pound or two!

Then it's MOT time by the 5th when it's due.....

Rust found - Help! 11 years 1 week ago #116412

Regards,
Andy

Give Jill a buzz and MGFnTF BIts as they cut one for me but unfotunately i had already got it locally and they didn't get my email telling them.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT