Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

How to check the Stepspeed auto gearbox oil level. 11 years 5 months ago #79488

We've had a few advanced users talking about gearbox oil levels recently. I've linked up the great Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil guide and here you can see the old oil drained from the gearbox.

Here's how to check the gearbox dipstick on a stepspeed automatic MG -

The first thing I should mention is that the fluid required is EZL 799 CVT Fluid.

Where's the dipstick and how do you get to it? You can see the top of the dipstick in the pics below and you can reach it, just about, via the access panel. It's tough to do, but it beats taking the engine cover off.

Now we know where it is, here's how you can reach it. Utter an incantation and turn your arm into a snake if it helps. It probably won't and I have to mention that you should only do this when the engine is cold enough for you to do it without getting burnt.

Take a firm hold and withdraw the dipstick.

Visually inspect it for the presence of oil.

Wipe it clean, re-insert it and withdraw it once more. The two marks on the stick are the minimum and maximum levels. I won't teach you to suck eggs. If it's too low, you'll need to top up the relevant fluid / oil.

Fortunately my fluid level was at the top. However, if I did need a top up, of let's say half a litre, here's how I would do it personally. Now I'm sure that my idea isn't the 'done thing'. I reckon it'll work ok though. Comments are welcomed. :)

So, at this point, we have this view -

I'd insert a small hose, like this spare washer fluid hose, into the opening. Then I'd use a small funnel, like this one I fashioned from a piece of a plastic milk bottle.

I'd leave the oil in the house overnight or maybe sit it on a radiator for a while to warm it up a touch so that it flowed more easily. Then, inserting the hose into the dipstick, I'd fill it slowly with the oil, a few drops at a time, going down through the funnel and hose into the dipstick. It might take half an hour or so. But, for me, it beats the alternative method which requires taking the engine cover off and removing nuts and bolts etc.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: How to check the gearbox oil level. 11 years 5 months ago #80058

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Does the VVC have one of those dipstick things for the gearbox :-?

Re: How to check the gearbox oil level. 11 years 5 months ago #80074

No Jan. Steppies only. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

How to check the gearbox oil level. 11 years 5 months ago #80078

To be honest I've never seen any manual gearbox with a dipstick, though my Laguna allegedly had one. I think you have to judge by the filler hole, if the oil is level with the bottom of the hole you have enough, anything less and you need to add some oil
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: How to check the Stepspeed auto gearbox oil level. 11 years 5 months ago #80155

My understanding is that you have to check the steppie gearbox level when the engine is hot and with it running and in neutral after having moved the gear lever through all positions a couple of times to get the oil sloshing fully around all the valve block, etc.

Am I wrong? :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: How to check the gearbox oil level. 11 years 5 months ago #80156

To be honest I've never seen any manual gearbox with a dipstick, though my Laguna allegedly had one. I think you have to judge by the filler hole, if the oil is level with the bottom of the hole you have enough, anything less and you need to add some oil

In the good ole days.... back in the 1960s.... almost all car gearboxes had dipsticks! Definitely MGBs and it's forefather the Morris Oxford did (stands back for abuse for suggesting an MGB is a Morris Oxford with the roof cut off! :rant: )
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Leigh Ping

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT