Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Replacing a seat back cover - MGF 'Mk 2' 11 years 9 months ago #58584

I'm new on the site and while I've looked for this topic I apologise if I've missed it.

I've read the excellent 'how to's' on removing seats and removing the backrest (fitting heated elements) but I'm looking for some advice on what will be the next step for me which is to remove the back rest cover and to replace it.

The current cover has suffered from the usual wear on the bolster.

I've 2 specific questions. Will I encounter the dreaded hog clips? How does the cover remove around the head rest fittings?

Any help gratefully received - I think my new cover may arrive today so bridges are burnt!

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Selected as a WOW! guide (words of wisdom - view them at the bottom of the how to guides section).

Re: Replacing a seat back cover - MG F 'Mk 2' 11 years 9 months ago #58586

Hi richard welcome,im a fairly new comer myself, right the answer to your questions,if you click on how to on your screen,go to manuals,download mgf-tf then go to page 720,type this in on the top in box,it will give you info,im pretty sure they have got the hog rings if i remember,hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Re: Replacing a seat back cover - MG F 'Mk 2' 11 years 9 months ago #58588

• KentJohn
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Rediscovering driving
Welcome Richard :welcome:

Try this link - seems to have the information you need. Replacing a seat back cover - MG F 'Mk 2'

John
Life is not a rehearsal - carpe diem!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Selected as a WOW! guide (words of wisdom - view them at the bottom of the how to guides section).

Re: Replacing a seat back cover - MG F 'Mk 2' 11 years 9 months ago #58591

• Visitor
  • Visitor
:welcome2:

Hi and welcome to the best forum going :yesnod:

Re: Replacing a seat back cover - MG F 'Mk 2' 11 years 9 months ago #58595

John,

Thanks - an excellent guide...I've seen a post where the hog rings were replaced with small cable ties and may try that - thanks for steering me to this forum in the first place.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentJohn

Last edit: Post by Blow-in.

Re: Replacing a seat back cover - MG F 'Mk 2' 11 years 9 months ago #58596

• KentJohn
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Rediscovering driving
No problem Richard ;)

Are you still getting that big :woohoo: feeling from driving your new toy!

People on this forum are very helpful - just not sure how many are as far north as you!

All the best,

John

Re: Replacing a seat back cover - MG F 'Mk 2' 11 years 9 months ago #58601

Yes John I am - just blasted in & out of Inverness with the hood down to pick-up a Torx set....I had all the smaller sizes but not the necessary T50 to remove the seats - Screwfix Inverness opened officially today (yipee!) so I even got 10% off.

Going to try to do the job on the seat this afternoon.

Richard

Re: Replacing a seat back cover - MG F 'Mk 2' 11 years 9 months ago #58616

Seat cover fitted! The hog rings were the predictable swines and cable ties seemed to work well in their place. Just a couple of things to add to the guide linked above....first, to remove the rings around the head rest posts it's a simple vertical pull - they each have a single tab which needs accurately placing on return so that it holds back the spring clip when twisted allowing the head rest to be removed. Secondly, the 'j' clip at the base was a real struggle and it needs two people to do it..one to twist-in the clip inner while the other holds the outer in place.

Very pleased with the result...the car only has the 'base' Mirage cloth and I had considered 'upgrading' with a couple of seats and door trims from eBay but I actually like the Mirage cloth and couldn't bear to throw away a perfectly good passanger seat...the good news is as everyone else 'upgrades' I will have a unique interior!...Also this was a cheap solution - £66 total (thank you Rimmer Bros).

Richard
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentJohn

Re: Replacing a seat back cover - MG F 'Mk 2' 11 years 9 months ago #58619

• KentJohn
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Rediscovering driving
Well done Richard! :bust:

I'm impressed that you got it done in an afternoon!

You'll have to go for another blast now to bed it in!

Take Care,

John

Re: Replacing a seat back cover - MG F 'Mk 2' 11 years 9 months ago #58628

not too bad a job is it?? cable ties are so much simpler for replacement too... fitted the heating elements to my std cloth seats, and repaired drivers bolster at the same time (luckily just needed re-packing with foam )....stripped and re-built both seats with heating elements and did all wiring/fitting one sunday at a nice slow sunday pace!!

Re: Replacing a seat back cover - MG F 'Mk 2' 11 years 9 months ago #58635

it didn't involve getting covered in oil so that rates as 'not too bad'. we're hardy up here so heated elements are reserved for SAAB drivers.

R

Re: Replacing a seat back cover - MG F 'Mk 2' 11 years 9 months ago #58651

Here is a picture of the fitted cover....there seem to be 3 variations on the Mk2 Mirage cover.....one has cloth & PVC outer bolsters but no Mirage insert in the inner bolster, another does have an insert and then there is my original cover (backrest) which didn't have a Mirage insert in the bolster but had outer bolsters competely covered in PVC. As you can see, my new cover is the one that has a mixture of PVC & cloth on the outer bolster and the Mirage insert...this means I now have a unique driver's seat (I guess) with different designs on the 2 pieces...I actually quite like the result.

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Pics fixed :)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT