Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

How to fit an OEM wind stop 12 years 3 months ago #34674

This is a modification that makes a big difference to the comfort of your car with the roof off. It helps keep you warmer and saves the Mrs moaning about getting her hair messed up ;) There are lots of types available, however I like the OEM one because it folds flat.
Please note the design changed slightly on the Chinese models but both types fit in the same way.

Take your time with the first stage it is very important to get the holes in the correct position.

First carefully cut out and fix in place the hole template provided with the wind stop.

Mark out the position for the access/fitting holes to be drilled

Please note the arrowed hole is from a fixed wind stop I had removed and has nothing to do with the fitting of an OEM wind stop.

Starting with a thin bit, drill a hole in the marked position.

Enlarge hole to allow access to the 10mm (not 8mm has the instructin shet says) bolt.

The hole center is...

Yellow line 4cm
Red line 2 cm

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Gudleif

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: How to fit an OEM wind stop 12 years 3 months ago #34675

Going in through the drilled access hole remove the 10mm bolt

Please note the arrowed hole is from a fixed wind stop that I had removed and has nothing to do with fitting an OEM wind stop.

Repeat for other side. Once both bolts are removed you can line up the wind stop retaining support brackets. This is just a case of aligning them with the drilled holes. The allen bolt goes through the hole in the bracket, lift the bracket slightly and put the allen bolt through the plastic dowel provided in the fitting kit. A small piece of Blue Tak or Cellotape will prevent the dowel coming away from the allen bolt and falling into the hole has you position it.

Once again repeat for other side :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: psymon, Leigh Ping, Gudleif

Re: How to fit an OEM wind stop 12 years 3 months ago #34676

The final stage is easier if you can get some one to give you a hand. Place the wind stop lugs into the retaining brackets and fit the wing nuts. Make sure the wind stop is the facing the correct way (it is not in the first photo :oops: )

Place wind stop into retaining brackets.............

...and fit the wing nuts

Finally tighten wing nuts and ensure wind stop lowers and lifts properly.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Tsleight, Gudleif, west470

Re: How to fit an OEM wind stop 12 years 3 months ago #34682

hi John

i thought you had done this on your 85 then saw the red paint
mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

Re: How to fit an OEM wind stop 12 years 3 months ago #34714

hi John

i thought you had done this on your 85 then saw the red paint

No matey the 85 comes with a wind stop has standard. This one was added to my F.

This picture shows the wind stop my F came with when I bought her...............
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: How to fit an OEM wind stop 11 years 9 months ago #55592

I purchased a second hand OEM windstop, I was searching for installation instruction, I recovered the templates drawing from Dieter's website, the only difference with Diter's instruction are in the use of 2 steel spacers to be fitted between the Tbar and the plastic blocks, I guess these spacers shall provide a stronger fixing of the plastic brackets. You will not squeeze the bulkehead, with the of damaging the surface due to brackets vibrations, see the attached picture.

Why do I need the paper templates ? I understand the scope of templates is to drill the 12mm holes directly on the top of the heads of the M8 bolts in order to be able to loose and take out the M8 bolts without removing the main rear bulkhead finisher.
But in order to make a better job why not remove the bulkhead, loose the M8 bolts without removing them, then pressing down the bulkead in order to mark/stamp the hex bolt heads shape in the plastic, this should provide a more precise reference for drilling. Ok it's longer but you are sure to match the position on the bolts and carry out two more precise holes.

Thanks for you advice.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Titanium.

Re: How to fit an OEM wind stop 11 years 9 months ago #55597

But in order to make a better job why not remove the bulkhead, loose the M8 bolts without removing them, then pressing down the bulkead in order to mark/stamp the hex bolt heads shape in the plastic, this should provide a more precise reference for drilling. Ok it's longer but you are sure to match the position on the bolts and carry out two more precise holes.

if you do this you will bend the plastic out of shape meaning the impression will then be in the wrong place :slapme:

Re: How to fit an OEM wind stop 11 years 9 months ago #55835

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
im interested in this because i will be fitting mine into my TF again from the mk2 F interior i've taken a liking to.

Re: How to fit an OEM wind stop 3 years 2 weeks ago #195455

Hello. I bought a 2nd hand wind stop and it's missing the plastic sleeves for the long bolt. I can easily make them myself. Can you advise how long they are so I can cut the right length? Thanks in advance. 

Re: How to fit an OEM wind stop 3 years 2 weeks ago #195464

The sleeves sit flat level on the t-bar, just drop something in the hole and mark it at the top, this will give you the length.

Mike

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT