Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Time to redo the door trim inserts in leather 10 years 3 months ago #136945

• Cobber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cobber
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
I was thoroughly sick of the sight of my door trim (card) inserts, with their peeling rag of tatty cloth and dessicated foam dust!

Exhibit "A"

So I removed the door trim, peeled the tatty rag off, cleaned all the old glue off, then stuck on some leather covers (Ebay) with contact adhesive.
I decided that they would resist peeling better by wedging some self adhesive chrome strip into the grove.

The result:
Exhibit "B"

The bigger picture:
Exhibit "C"

Here's some of the self-adhesive chrome strip stuff:
Exhibit "D"

I don't recall where I got the chrome strip as It's been floating about the shed for @ 10yrs. But you could probably find it on Ebay or in car accessory shops.

I'm quite pleased with the results, the only problem is it now shows the seats up as tatty!
The other thing is I thinking of getting the door pull inserts and the door handle escutcheons metalised with a chrome finish as they too look a bit tatty.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, really?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Time to redo the door trim inserts in leather 10 years 3 months ago #136949

Nice job. :broon: Was it easy to do?

Time to redo the door trim inserts in leather 10 years 3 months ago #136951

• Cobber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cobber
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
Bugger! I had the whole process written out and went to correct a spelling mistake and the whole lot got deleted!
I see the suppliers of the forum software still haven't thought to include autosave!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Time to redo the door trim inserts in leather 10 years 3 months ago #136952

Nicely done, :broon: (cards not deletion)
[IMG]ht[/img]

Time to redo the door trim inserts in leather 10 years 3 months ago #136953

Bugger! I had the whole process written out and went to correct a spelling mistake and the whole lot got deleted!
I see the suppliers of the forum software still haven't thought to include autosave!

Yes I had that issue yesterday when writing up my How To Slickshift install....just previewing the first few pages and it vapourised and threw me back a level...very irritating..lots of swearing involved....I ended up re-writing it in Open Office then cut and pasting..won't be caught by that particular glitch again...unfortunately made the How To a bit less entertaining than I had hoped coz I cut out a lot of the fluff in the attempt to complete in a reasonable time..aaarrggh!
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Time to redo the door trim inserts in leather 10 years 3 months ago #136967

I used to work at the place (in Tipton west mids) that made the interior door cards for the MGF, (aswell as 25 and 45 rover) we did the hard tops aswell. Wish i knew i was going to have an F a few years later!

The MGF interior door cards were cut using high pressure water by the way at 50,000PSI !

Time to redo the door trim inserts in leather 10 years 3 months ago #136980

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Lovely job sir! :beer:

Time to redo the door trim inserts in leather 10 years 3 months ago #136981

Quality job looks good seats might be more of a challenge though :clap:
Work to live don't live to work.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds