Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MG TF. Removing rear bushes. 7 years 6 months ago #172748

• GNK's Avatar Topic Author
  • GNK
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Having just replaced the rear trailing arm and compliance bushes on my TF I thought I would let you know how I removed the old ones since they it's not the easiest of jobs if you haven't got a 4 ton press!
I'm afraid I have no piccies.

Fist off is the compliance bush.
I found the best was to get these out was to cut two slots about 1/4" apart in the wall of the bush's housing, being very careful not to cut into the mounting itself. Then using a fine chisel remove the slip of metal between the slots, the bush will then simply drift out. You may need to drill out a section of the rubber to allow a standard hacksaw blade to go in.

The trailing arm looks a pig of a job to do but it's not if you follow this.
Putting the arm in a vice run a 1/8" pilot drill through any point in the rubber then follow this up with a 3/16" drill. You will see that the drill will cut a neat channel in the outer sleeve, it should not go through the sleeve but it weakens it enough for it to be collapsed using a drift on the bit of the sleeve that sticks out, the bush will then drift out nice and simple.
Be careful as you are drilling as it has a habit of kicking back as the drill bites, and use WD40 or similar to help getting through the rubber.

Geoff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT