Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Fitting Mike Satur 'FX' Speaker Covers 11 years 7 months ago #68127

I had a bit of a problem fitting the Mike Satur 'FX' speaker grills whilst using the original speakers, so I thought this may help if anyone else want's to go down the same route ;)

The main speaker is easy, just cut the 3 lugs that hold the original speaker grills at the back and remove:

Put the new grill bolts in the original holes. I had to enlarge the holes slightly as the bolts don't quite match up:

Now comes the tricky part if, like me, you want to use the exising tweeters. You need to recess the tweeter to allow fitment of the new grill. First remove the original tweeter by unplugging and then unscrewing the ring on the back of the tweeter:

Screw in the 6 bolts to the FX speaker grill:

Use this to mark the position for the corresponding holes in the door card and drill the holes, ensuring the 'FX' is aligned correctly before drilling!

Remove the tweeter cover and dremel notches in the orignal tweeter surround to match up with the bolts. This allows the speaker to fit within the bolts. Don't over do the notches, you want a nice tight fit between the bolts. As you can see in the photo I had to have 2 goes to get the notches right on the first tweeter :oops: :

Using the original plastic ring as a template for the inner hole make a ring out of a suitable material (I used some spare hardboard). The ring needs to be big enough to take holes for the 6 bolts and the hole must fit tightly over the threaded rear of the tweeter (you can discard the original plastic ring):

Now fix the speaker cover with appropriate washers and nuts:

Place the tweeter betwen the mounting bolts:

Finally put the ring onto the bolts and affix with some more washers and nuts:

Your doorcard will now look like this ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GOLDIE, manxmgeoff

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Laz1957.

Re: Fitting Mike Satur 'FX' Speaker Covers 11 years 7 months ago #68138

That was quite a job for something that sounds simple. I like your kick plate on the door - did you make it or is it another Mike Satur part?

Thanks for posting this.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Re: Fitting Mike Satur 'FX' Speaker Covers 11 years 7 months ago #68149

Very nice Larry! +1 on the kick plate!:yesnod:

...But why didn't you take the tweeter out of its plastic cover? Wouldn't that have made the job easier?:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Fitting Mike Satur 'FX' Speaker Covers 11 years 7 months ago #68177

The kick plate is also Mike Satur - don't think that requires a 'how to' though :lol:

When you take the speaker out of the plastic cover it is then too small for the hole and would require a custom made mount anyway. I thought it was better to use the original ring, as this holds the speaker firmly, and dremel to fit rather than trying to fabricate a bespoke mounting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Re: Fitting Mike Satur 'FX' Speaker Covers 11 years 7 months ago #68183

That makes perfect sense.:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT