Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Mk 2 Door Pod Swap 11 years 7 months ago #67247

Having bought some Mk 2 doorcards to install in my Mk 1 I wanted to put in some different door pod material/trim.

The first job was to remove the door pod trim and material. Here's a pic of the back of the doorcard:

Prise the polystyrene off the back carefully with a flat blade - I used a butter knife). This exposes the lugs which hold the pod trim on:

These clips need to be prised off of the plastic lugs without breaking the lugs (if you want to re-use or sell the trims). I used a pair of pinch nosed pliers for this:

Take your time and try to get the clips off without breaking them, as you will need them when you put your new pod trim on. It's ok to bend them because you can get them back into shape with a bit of 'encouragment with some pliers ;)

The material panel is on a metal plate which is held in at the top by the trim and at the bottom by metal tabs. You can easily bend these back with a flat blade to remove the panel. I had replacement panels but re-covering these would be extremely easy if you wanted a particular 'look'.

I replaced my trim with OEM caron fibre and these trims were attatched by threadded lugs rather than the fiddly clips, which made fitting a lot easier. Otherwise just carefully push the clips back onto the lugs when you are re-fiting. Here's a couple of pic for comparison of the 2 types of trim and clips:

Stick the polystyrene back on and step back and admire your work :)
Before (carbon and black leather):

After (carbon fibre and 'Daytona' material):

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Laz1957.

Re: Mk 2 Door Pod Swap 11 years 7 months ago #67248

wheres the pics gone

Freestyle and TF for Sale Mk1 work in progress, well it never stops does it lol

Re: Mk 2 Door Pod Swap 11 years 7 months ago #67249

Don't know - just fixing it ;)

Re: Mk 2 Door Pod Swap 11 years 7 months ago #67257

looks good but I have to say I like the leather.. but I also like things that are not the norm so a catch 22 situation for me lol

Freestyle and TF for Sale Mk1 work in progress, well it never stops does it lol

Re: Mk 2 Door Pod Swap 11 years 7 months ago #67475

I liked the leather too but the carbon fibre trims came with the Daytona cloth and they look really good together - though it doesn't show well in the photos :dry:

Last edit: Post by Laz1957.

Re: Mk 2 Door Pod Swap 11 years 7 months ago #67482

I liked the leather too but the carbon fibre trims came with the Daytona cloth and they look really good together - though it doesn't show well in the photos :dry:

thought i needed to go to spec savers... will have to inspect them next time i see you :broon:

Ive just bought some vents with carbon surrounds on them, jurys out till they come but I think they will match the carbon door cappings on Monty.... lets wait and see

Re: Mk 2 Door Pod Swap 11 years 7 months ago #67497

If the vents are OEM then they match, as does the Mk1 OEM center console I have in my car ;)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT