Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Paintwork - How to get the wet look 14 years 2 months ago #10850

well posted some pics of my audi tt and have been asked to do a step by step on how to achieve the wet look, so bear with me :whistle: this is the way i do it and may not be the way everyone does it or the "correct way",each to their own but i am more than happy with the results i get :thumbsup:

PRE WASH (not advised in mgf's or tf roof)

to start off with i usually pre wash with a spray foam application ,mix 20% sprayfoam ,5% car wash and the remaining 75% warm water into the spray foam bottle

these attatch to any pressure washer

then apply liberally all over the car starting at the top and working down

leave this to dwell for around 15 mins ,while this is dwelling i usually go round the wheels spraying them with bilberry wheel cleaner ,for any stubborn brake dust just adjitate with a detail brush .also go round all badges and crevices with a detailing brush .

After 15 /20 mins rinse off with the jet wash spaying under arches as you go and rinsing wheels at the same time.ready for washing.

WASH

using the two bucket method fill one bucket with warm water with car wash/ wash n wax in it, the other bucket with clean water (warm or cold doesn't really matter)wash car from roof down , or in mgf/tf case from front backwards, i use a lambs wool mitt but you can use a microfibre mitt DO NOT USE A SPONGE washing using the wash bucket and rinse mitt in clean water bucket before redipping in wash bucket ,then rinse off with hose pipe.

DRYING

for this i use a large drying microfibre towel ,do not use a leather as this may cause swirls in paint

PAINT PREPERATION

claying is an excellent way of removing tree sap,tar ,overspray and general road grime from paint work prior to polishing and waxing, even if you think your car is clean you will be amazed at the feel of your paint after claying,do a panel at a time do not rush this job spray the panel with lube (detailing spay or mild wash/wax mix with water )rub the panel in staight lines with a piece of clay turning and kneeding the clay regularly (if you drop the clay throw it away immediatley)then dry the panel using a microfibre cloth, do this on all panels taking your time ,the paint will now be clean and ready for polish.

POLISHING

This can be done by hand but best results are achieved applied with a DA (dual action polished) these will remove any swirl marks and some light scratches if done properly.
always mask up any bagdges,side repeaters,rubbers that you dont want to rub polish into also this will prevent any trapped dirt being dragged onto the paint while polishing and scratching your paintwork.

to get best results i use a sonus sfx-2 pad with menzerna intensive polish this will remove most swirl marks caused by bad washing methods in the past removing with a microfibre cloth.

GLAZE

this is not a step you have to do but i find reuslt are much better with a glaze applied, i personally use poorboys black hole but there are many available , to apply this i use the DA and a sonus sfx-3 pad but can be applied by hand this will hide any remaining swirl marks and some minor imperfections in the paint, also will have a stunning effect if you car is metalic (never realised my black tt had this many colours in it)

WAXING

the next stage is waxing for this i use dodo juice /harly wax but any you prefer ,i apply these by hand litterally rubbing into the paint work , this can also be applied using one of the applicators sponge or microfibre using a small cicrcular overlapping motion , leave this to dry then buff off using a microfibre cloth.

SEALING

this is only if you wish to do it ifind it adds a bit more depth to the gloss ,the only one i use is zaino z-8 grand finale spray ,isnt cheap but a light misting over panel then buff using a micro fibre cloth ,a little goes a long way .

WHEELS & TYRES

wheels were cleaned during the foam prosses so just need wheel wax applying now then dress tyres, i use a rubber tyre dressing any does this job , but i prefer not too glossy so apply the dressing then rub off after a couple of mins with an old cloth .

WINDOWS

doesn't matter how clean your paint is there is nothing better than nice clean windows ,all i use is autoglym fast glass with good results

then stand back and enjoy you jaw dropping results

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Jimuth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

getting the wet look 14 years 2 months ago #10851

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X
That really is an awesome finish mate :yesnod:

thanks for sharing the secrets :)

getting the wet look 14 years 2 months ago #10852

wow :faint:

that is just awesome, i think you should now do a proper how to and show how its done on a MG. when do you want me to bring mine down? :whistle:

you realise half of us dont even own 2 buckets, let alone use them if we wash our cars :o

top class how to!!!!

getting the wet look 14 years 2 months ago #10853

wow :faint:

that is just awesome, i think you should now do a proper how to and show how its done on a MG. when do you want me to bring mine down? :whistle:

you realise half of us dont even own 2 buckets, let alone use them if we wash our cars :o

top class how to!!!!

LOL

got mine to do when weather pics up :mad: so will add some pics when i do it eventually :whistle:

getting the wet look 14 years 2 months ago #10854

Excellent how-to.
Well done for sharing :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: :yesnod: fixed :)

getting the wet look 14 years 2 months ago #10862

Both my MGs need that treatment. Good stuff!
2000 MGF 1.8i SE Wedgewood
2002 MG ZS200 Trophy Blue
1999 Land Rover Discovery series 2 TD5

getting the wet look 13 years 10 months ago #13703

Great post and a great looking finish, just one question!

I live in Hong Kong but get to the UK about once a month where can I buy the products you use when on a very quick 24 hr visit?

Paul

getting the wet look 13 years 10 months ago #13704

That looks awesome :yesnod:

Any chance you could tell us what polisher you use and where to get one? Been meaning to buy one for a while but not got round to it yet :shake:

Re: Paintwork - How to get the wet look 11 years 8 months ago #61050

Over the years I must have used 10 or so polishes & waxes striving for the perfect finish, Ive just done my VW CC and the TF
both of which are black, the results are amazing thanks for the tip :woohoo:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT