Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Polishing Petrol Cap Ring :- How To 9 months 4 weeks ago #202902

Oops sorry I think it might be time for me to keep quiet for a bit, I’ve got you mixed up with Bill & I would never consider a 135 mundane & I’ve already given Steve’s corns a squashing recently by making an ill advised comment.
I’m away on holiday so can’t go & check on the car, however although those stud things are retained by spring metal clips which rust to dust I don’t recall anything else retaining the ring & base other than those & an interference fit.
Addendum: I’ve just had a run around the internet & found a couple of references to the f cap being different from that on the tf (why it just seems daft) but if true it could imply a different approach.
I’ve certainly found reference from an f owner to removing the allen studs & prising apart, which is what I recall.
M

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Polishing Petrol Cap Ring :- How To 9 months 4 weeks ago #202931

I just couldn't manage to separate the plastic central part (with the lock) from the bezel, so just masked it off and got stuck-in with (three grades of) steel wool.
The results were so much better than I expected, even although I hate anything remotely bling, the level of "shiny" was spot on. No need for paint - the brushed aluminium look is great.
Sorry if this series of posts is now in the wrong place, and has turned into a blog rather than a "how to", but I thought that others might like to know that good results are very possible without separating the two outer parts of the fuel filler cap.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: j0ris

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Polishing Petrol Cap Ring :- How To 9 months 4 weeks ago #202932

That looks every bit as good as one that has been completely stripped, however when I’m home I’ll have a retrospective on stripping mine down & report back for the next generation of petrol cap polishers to check out.
M

Polishing Petrol Cap Ring :- How To 9 months 3 weeks ago #202993

As promised. I had a look at my filler cap & mine did come apart as implied but only because someone has visited before me. It has to be said they made a good job of it & it was only through close inspection prompted by this that I have been able to work out how it was initially broken & subsequently repaired. Ham fist followed by kid gloves.
M

Polishing Petrol Cap Ring :- How To 9 months 2 weeks ago #203029

Has anyone done their filler cap ring in black instead I wonder ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Polishing Petrol Cap Ring :- How To 9 months 2 weeks ago #203037

Are you thinking about the 135, if so I bet it would look great. Go for the full stealth.

Polishing Petrol Cap Ring :- How To 9 months 2 weeks ago #203040

Thats convinced me. Il take it apart at the weekend and have a go
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Polishing Petrol Cap Ring :- How To 9 months 2 weeks ago #203041

Photos when done please, long shot & close up.
M

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT