Sign In   Register

Topic

Paintwork - How to Clay. 14 years 2 months ago #10376

Now most of my winter projects are out of the way Im gonna start the clean up soon. Im going to try Clay for the first time.
Obviously you wash the car first but do you clay, then T cut or T cut then clay or does clay replace the T cut ??? (I say T cut but its another cutting compound I use)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Clay, Polish, Wax?? 14 years 2 months ago #10382

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Haven't got a clue. Sponge and bucket is as far as I go. :dunno:
The following user(s) said Thank You: petzenaffe

Clay, Polish, Wax?? 14 years 2 months ago #10389

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

Now most of my winter projects are out of the way Im gonna start the clean up soon. Im going to try Clay for the first time.
Obviously you wash the car first but do you clay, then T cut or T cut then clay or does clay replace the T cut ??? (I say T cut but its another cutting compound I use)

clay is used on a clean car (wash and rinse twice so old wax & polish is removed) use the clay, this will unbond impurities from the paintwork, such as bird lime, resins and tree sap etc etc. basically removing the stuff that normal washing won't

I have never used a cutting compound but it would be logical to me to use it after the claying then wash, polish & wax.

its probably a subject that the so called experts will probably disagree about on a regular basis but why not check out some car detailing forums.

when you do it, why not take some before, during and after pics for us?

good luck

Clay, Polish, Wax?? 14 years 2 months ago #10391

I am quite new to claying but am impressed with the results, just follow Gos's order of service and you will be fine - chances are you wont need the T-cut unless the paint is faded. Remember your detailing spray to use with the clay.
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Clay, Polish, Wax?? 14 years 2 months ago #10398

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

I am quite new to claying but am impressed with the results, just follow Gos's order of service and you will be fine - chances are you wont need the T-cut unless the paint is faded. Remember your detailing spray to use with the clay.

good point with the detailing spray (it acts as a lubricant) also if you drop the clay dont be tempted to re use it, discard and use some fresh stuff. :)

Clay, Polish, Wax?? 14 years 2 months ago #10411

The car is pretty clean anyway as when I bought it I went over each panel twice with the cutting compound (Farecla G3) to get rid of some swirl marks & tar spots etc, then polish, Zymol cleaner polish.....worth getting just for the smell & then finish off with Megs Gold class wax.
I dont think clay will improve the looks but I will know its been done.

Clay, Polish, Wax?? 14 years 2 months ago #10788

you wont belive the amount of crap that comes off you car with clay ,even if you think its clean ,then best results are to use a DA (dual action ) polisher with a medium compound head with menzerna intensive polish (removes swirls) , then a soft compound head with poorboys black hole (removes even more swirls and fills little scratches) then finaly hand wax using dodo juice ,the finished results will be stunning , i do this to all my cars here is my tt done last summer , personally i wouldn't touch my paintwork with t cut .

Clay, Polish, Wax?? 14 years 2 months ago #10795

you wont belive the amount of crap that comes off you car with clay ,even if you think its clean ,then best results are to use a DA (dual action ) polisher with a medium compound head with menzerna intensive polish (removes swirls) , then a soft compound head with poorboys black hole (removes even more swirls and fills little scratches) then finaly hand wax using dodo juice ,the finished results will be stunning , i do this to all my cars here is my tt done last summer , personally i wouldn't touch my paintwork with t cut .

Wow, thats nice. I having one of them eventually......with Baseball leather :yesnod:

I have a DA polisher & use Farclea then Megs Gold class or the other one, is it NXT or something?

Clay, Polish, Wax?? 14 years 2 months ago #10796

Wow, thats nice. I having one of them eventually......with Baseball leather :yesnod:

I have a DA polisher & use Farclea then Megs Gold class or the other one, is it NXT or something?

yer its nxt ,used to use that myself then moved on to harly wax , amazing stuff and not to expensive, results are excelent .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HARLY-WAX-car-polish-Harly-Harly-Harly-Harley-Harly_W0QQitemZ230355857043QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item35a2476e93

Clay, Polish, Wax?? 14 years 2 months ago #10812

I`ll try that, thanks!

Clay, Polish, Wax?? 14 years 2 months ago #10837

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

absolutely awesome :yesnod:

you MUST give precise details on how to achieve this in the detailing section :)

Clay, Polish, Wax?? 14 years 2 months ago #10844

absolutely awesome :yesnod:

you MUST give precise details on how to achieve this in the detailing section :)

+1 for that idea! Looks stunning!

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT