Topic

Broken plastic rear screen 11 years 5 months ago #89348

• groovylee's Avatar Topic Author
  • groovylee
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • 1997 MGF 1.8i in COF
Hi all,

i was just wondering if anyone has a broken plastic rear screen that they no longer need? it needs to be the sort with the zip all the way around, rather than the type with velcro down both sides.

i am considering getting some rear screen plastic and trying to replace DIY using the old dears sewing machine and some heavy duty needles / thread. if it goes easy enough, i might be able to offer a limited service of replacing the screens on the cheap, possibly for cost + a site donation? :broon: i wouldn't be able to promise a fast turnaround though :lol:

anyway, first things first, does anyone have one they don't need?

many thanks,

Lee
when your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems suddenly become nails.......
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Broken plastic rear screen 11 years 5 months ago #89353

I wasn't aware of any plastic screens that had a zip all the way round, afaia all the factory fitted plastic screens had velcro down the sides.
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

Broken plastic rear screen 11 years 5 months ago #89359

• groovylee
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • 1997 MGF 1.8i in COF
thanks for that pete. hmm, not too sure what i have on mine then :( i think it is a MK2 hood, and the zip runs from bottom corner, over the top, and finsihes in the opposite bottom corner. the bottom is pop riveted as per usual.

the hood i got from Jan has a zip along the top edge, and velcro down each side. MK1?? any advice welcome :broon: i would go and check again, but it's p ing it down at the moment :lol:
when your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems suddenly become nails.......

Broken plastic rear screen 11 years 5 months ago #89360

As Pete says, all standard roofs have the top zip and velcro sides. The only difference between mk1 and 2 is the zip quality. Meaning that you need both sides of the zip to swap between mk1 and 2.
Incidentally this change (mk1 to 2 zip ) happened well before the car change mk1 to 2.

I don't know what you have got?
David
:shrug:

Broken plastic rear screen 11 years 5 months ago #89362

• groovylee
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • 1997 MGF 1.8i in COF
cheers guys, i think a better look is required lol

Broken plastic rear screen 11 years 5 months ago #89372

My TF (and the MK 2 'F' before it) has Velcro down the sides and a single zip along the top. I think some replacement hoods offered a zip all round, but I've not seen it on any factory models.
The following user(s) said Thank You: groovylee

Broken plastic rear screen 11 years 5 months ago #89471

My 2004 TF has a zip from bottom left all the way round to bottom right plus velcro ? It is Original ?? The velcro just helps keep it in place nice and tight when done up but it certainly zips as groovylee describes above. Perhaps I had better stop the Chateaux Blanc now as I obviously have had too much :oops:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia
The following user(s) said Thank You: groovylee

Broken plastic rear screen 11 years 5 months ago #89510

As Pete says, all standard roofs have the top zip and velcro sides. The only difference between mk1 and 2 is the zip quality. Meaning that you need both sides of the zip to swap between mk1 and 2.
Incidentally this change (mk1 to 2 zip ) happened well before the car change mk1 to 2.

I don't know what you have got?

Sorry to have to correct you David, a MAJORITY of Mk1 cars had the later 97 - 05 8mm Opti zip. A few early cars had a narrow (7mm) Opti zip, some had a similar YKK zip but most had the later zip.

Had to change the hood side of a 7mm Opti on Monday!

As for the zip which ran up the side, over the top and down the other side: Aftermarket hood of unknown manufacturer, have replaced several of them, but have disposed of them so cannot offer the OP a solution other than a complete hood replacement?
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, groovylee

Broken plastic rear screen 11 years 5 months ago #90593

Hi all,

i was just wondering if anyone has a broken plastic rear screen that they no longer need? it needs to be the sort with the zip all the way around, rather than the type with velcro down both sides.

i am considering getting some rear screen plastic and trying to replace DIY using the old dears sewing machine and some heavy duty needles / thread. if it goes easy enough, i might be able to offer a limited service of replacing the screens on the cheap, possibly for cost + a site donation? :broon: i wouldn't be able to promise a fast turnaround though :lol:

anyway, first things first, does anyone have one they don't need?

many thanks,

Lee

Last edit: Post by paulsmgf.

Broken plastic rear screen 11 years 5 months ago #90594

• groovylee
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • 1997 MGF 1.8i in COF
cheers paul :broon: i'm bidding on that one :)

Broken plastic rear screen 11 years 5 months ago #90627

• groovylee
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • 1997 MGF 1.8i in COF
Woohoo! Got it. £5.50 plus £10 p&p. just spoken to the guy, seems like a good chap with a solar red F. I'll make sure he's pointed in this direction :broon:

Also, he's after a rear screen with just the top zip, so I might be able to help him out :)

Cheers all :)

Lee

Broken plastic rear screen 11 years 5 months ago #90629

Great stuff glad i didnt bid now :woohoo:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT