Sign In   Register

Topic

Hi all, I've just been given an MGF! 9 years 1 week ago #158746

Hi all,

A recent trip to the barbers ended up with me being given a free MGF, so like with any of my project cars, I thought it was best to join a forum. So here I am!

This came about when the chap who owned the local barbers shop cooked the engine due to the absence of coolant. Thinking the usual head gasket failure, the mechanics he used stripped the head but found that, during a previous gasket replacement, the liners had been disturbed. He remembered that I enjoyed tinkering with cars (I'm a regular on the Project Puma forums) and had admired his a while back, so offered it to me. Obviously my wife was thrilled to have another non-runner on the driveway....

So, the car was duly deposited on my drive by some friendly local mechanics last night!

Some pictures!

After a bit of poking around, I've found very, very little rust, in fact, so far only the rear edge of the drivers side sill has shown any rot.

It's also a VVC model which I wasn't expecting.

So, the first job will be to give the bodywork a buff up (to give me motivation to do the engine swap) and then source another engine. Then who knows?

One thing is for certain, I'll probably need a lot of advice about K-series engines if you'll all oblige?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by The Arch Bishop.

Hi all, I've just been given an MGF! 9 years 1 week ago #158748

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Nice looking car you have there - apart from the engine problems of course. But as it was free, you could end up with a cracker for not a lot of money.

Loads of useful information and helpful folk on this forum - good choice :yesnod:
Robin ;)

Hi all, I've just been given an MGF! 9 years 1 week ago #158749

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Nice freebie!! :broon:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Hi all, I've just been given an MGF! 9 years 1 week ago #158752

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
welcome aboard!

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Hi all, I've just been given an MGF! 9 years 1 week ago #158753

:welcome: :beer:

Hi all, I've just been given an MGF! 9 years 1 week ago #158755

Thank you all for the welcome!

I've had a great evening poking around and polishing a few panels to see how the paintwork is. Other than a life seemingly lived in an automatic carwash, it's not too bad! I clayed, scratch-polished, super resin'd and waxed the bonnet and most of the swirl marks came out. Also had a crack at the opaque rear screen with the super resin polish and was surprised how well that came up too.

Very happy with my (non) purchase, but because of conscience, I'm going to get a few bob together and give the guy some money for it. It's too good to just take for nothing.

So, where is the best place for (very reasonably priced) second hand engines then?

Hi all, I've just been given an MGF! 9 years 1 week ago #158756

mechanics he used stripped the head but found that, during a previous gasket replacement, the liners had been disturbed.

More likely the mechanics disturbed the liners while they were stripping the engine down!!!

I presume you will be changing the engine yourself, if so familiarise yourself with the "how to's" on doing this, as it is no two minuit job, though for a competent home mechanic this will be an interesting project.

Also depending on the mileage on the replacement engine, or your new car consider replacing the clutch, water pump, timing belts, and an engine bay/subframe clean-up/re-paint when the engine is out.

Also consider the possibility of having the block and head re-built (depending on how much damage has occurred) as a much better option than an unknown used engine.

Good luck with what looks like a very smart car.

Peter

Hi all, I've just been given an MGF! 9 years 1 week ago #158757

So, where is the best place for (very reasonably priced) second hand engines then?

Are you sure the engine is beyond redemption?
Robin ;)

Hi all, I've just been given an MGF! 9 years 1 week ago #158759

Are you sure the engine is beyond redemption?

Fairly sure, the liners all move freely in the bores and the boot-floor carpet backing has begun to melt, so it got pretty hot under there before the engine was stopped! It's got about 76,000 miles on the clock, so it would have had plenty of life in it but for the short term, I want a fairly low-budget option to get it moving again. Clutch, cambelt and water pump would be replaced regardless of the mileage covered by the donor engine however as I'm not keen on false economies.

I've seen the odd low mileage engine on eBay going for under £300 including shipping so that is my initial line of enquiry. I doubt an engine rebuild done properly would be less to be honest although I'm more than willing to be proved wrong!

Last edit: Post by The Arch Bishop.

Hi all, I've just been given an MGF! 9 years 6 days ago #158763

Some whole cars are going for that much on eBay now!!

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Hi all, I've just been given an MGF! 9 years 6 days ago #158764

Hi and welcome
The car looks generally better than my free F does.
James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Hi all, I've just been given an MGF! 9 years 6 days ago #158766

Some whole cars are going for that much on eBay now!!

Nooooo! No more cars!!! I already have a Puma, a Forester (daily motor) the MGF and the other half's Fiesta! Please don't encourage as I am weak-willed!

The car looks generally better than my free F does.

It's rough around the edges but very straight and solid. I've got a wad of old receipts and some chap spent thousands back in 2006 so it's had the odd enthusiast in its 6 owners!

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT