Sign In   Register

Topic

Project Riveria 11 years 1 month ago #111738

The mk2 seats do sit lower than the mk1 seats, but I thought the securing holes were identical(:? )

Ohh... and you need releasing fluid, not WD40. :lol:

yeah as david said wd40 is a water dispertant get the right stuff :broon:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Project Riveria 11 years 1 month ago #111742

Thanks - yes I am the numpty - :oops: - got the camera to take a photo and all becomes clear ;) trying to do the swap in semi-darkness is not recommeded - in the light of the gaarge you can see what's up - looks like the leather seats wear not taken out carefully and the end bracket is actually been bent flat - sods law it was the passengers seat... also the runners where not aligned one must have been stuck so was not moving in sync - lesson learnt - check old against replacement firstt - dont rush in !
The orginal good end

And the bent one

And runners not aligned

So will sort this out and have another go !!

Have freed up the jammed runner - so they now move together and looks the same as original - so hopefully a pic with them in tomorrow !! :broon:
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by MrOrange. Reason: Added comment to fix runner

Project Riveria 11 years 1 month ago #111998

So the old cloth seats out.....

and replacement leather ones in..

Went for a spin and they do feel a bit higher than the old ones but the spring/support seems to be far better..so worth it :broon: .
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by MrOrange. Reason: uploaded wrong photo

Project Riveria 11 years 3 weeks ago #115109

Been a whle since a post . but havent really had much time what with work, rain and more rain.... but did get a chrome ash tray and a set of chrome clock and oil guage trims that has been fitted ... also got some replacement bonnet and boot MG badges, wheel centres, plus one for the cig lighter on the way (in blue and white of course)
Also having had a closer look at the paint work it is showing a lot of small scratches (everywhere!!) so will have another go but this time with G3 scratch remover and then high gloss polish - yep still need to do the rust spots... and fix the interior lights and get under it and start having a good look there too ..... but made my mind up I am going to go for white viper strips once the paintwork is sorted

Project Riveria 11 years 4 days ago #117651

Well a Bank Holiday weekend with sun !! So jacked her up and had a look under the front .... sub frame was showing a fair bit of surface rust but did not look too serious. Swing arms seemed to be in pretty good nick, again mainly surface rust and build up of dirt.

So wheels off and give it a wire brush and treat with Krust. Thought it would be a simple job... no such luck. Wheel nuts where the fist hurdle - solid as a rock, even jumping on extended break bar they didn't want to budge :rant: So overnight soak with perertaiong oil and another go, bit more brut force and manage to get them free eventually. Great, but...hang on the wheels still would not lift off. Both front wheels where like they where still bolted on! Had been told that alloy against steel drums can cause a chemical reaction that is like weilding parts together, they weren't wrong. So took a lump hammer, wood block and about 20 minutes of banshing the hell out of it to free them off.
Obviously these had not be off for some time and the person before may not of heard of copper grease. :-?

Anyway set to work with the electric drill and wire brush fitment and gave the subframe a going over, couple of hours later was ready to brush way the mess and then painted over with Krust. No major issues found (thank goodness) and it looked a lot better than when I started. Cleaned up the hubs, disks (may need to replace them sooner rather than later) and the alloy wheels and put them back on, with a new set of wheel nuts and copper grease :broon:

Next job is the rear end ... better set aside a clear weekend for that then.

Project Riveria 11 years 4 days ago #117662

15" wheels seem to stick more than 16" wheels too. As I find out everytime I swap Winter wheels for the Summer wheels! :bang:
David
:shrug:

Project Riveria 11 years 3 days ago #117961

A few pics before I get nabbed by the photo police.....new blue badges...

Console with chrome surounds...

And the work after clean up and Krust applied on front sub frames

Also had a go at the rear offside wheel - same thing solid as a rock ..

Project Riveria 11 years 2 days ago #117974

Looking good! Those seats were a bargain it looks like.

I am going to sort Meg's fornt subframe hopefully this year but I'll get a spare and get it shotblasted I think as it seems a right pain to do when it's on the car!

Project Riveria 11 years 2 days ago #118024

Thanks- yes agree, to do the proper job, get it all out - my attempt here is just a quick fix and hope it helps prolong its life a bit.

Went and picked up some PlusGas from the local auto shop and give it a few drops on the rear wheel... a few mnutes later and a couple of taps with the hammer and it was free . :woohoo: ... this stuff is amazing ... will make sure I have a tin in my garage at all times. (Dave did say get the proper stuff - would have save a whol;e lot of bother)

Now even better news - I picked up a replacement front wing in Tahiti blue for £15 ...good nick, so well chuffed ... :woo2: yep that rusty wing is coming out....very soon.. Will still have to sort back wing, air intake and the front bumper paint has seen better days.... Bad news is afraid I have now blown my fix it budget gone over £250 .. oh well can't have everything ...and some of it was just the Drakside calling !!

Will look arund for "How To" to get the wing off and a few more pics to follow ... Target completion date - 1st June is not far away/// so will need to get a shift on !!

Project Riveria 10 years 11 months ago #119062

Oh dear got side tracked as needed to get my other toy out of the garage and give her a service before she went back on the road, she is old but still capable of doing near on 150mph - wind in your face, heart stooping, excitement. But she's got a mean streak and got well jealous .. of the shinny MGF parked in her spot. So servicing the brakes and putting the front wheel back on , she (VFR 750) promptly fell off the jacks and remodelled the MGF's door and wing- :bang: - Oh well more work... and a few pics of the front wing before replacement .
The nasty bike -

The damage

The front wing before the replacement

At least the weather's better !!
Attachments:

Project Riveria 10 years 11 months ago #119158

Spent a hour preparing the replacement wing once I got home from work - afraid it had bubbled paint in one corner but the rest of it was very good , so rubbed it back to bear metal with a flapper wheel, no holes appeared , Krusted it and applied a red oxide primer. Will rub back primer , give it coat of dark blue I had in shed and then two top coats with the orignal MGF paint - so fingers crossed it will look OK with a bit of rubbing compound - Here it is so far against the orignal

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by MrOrange.

Project Riveria 10 years 11 months ago #120595

Again been sided tracked with other issues - so the poor old MGF has been sitting waiting for attention, and the dead line for completion sadly passed by but yesterday the time came to tackle the task - replacement wing had been resprayed and was ready to go, but will need a good polish to make it nice and shinny but that can be done on the car . So on with the job, followng CJJ's how to on front bumper removal - nice one thanks really useful, and a further hour messing around with corroride bolts on the wing it was off. the car. So here is a couple of pics - as you can see the old wing was a mess - note the pile of rust beside it !!

thnk I need to take the other wimg off and repair while I am at it

Looks a bit sad without the front bumper - that also needs a bit of touching up as well

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT