Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

New plugs and judders under acceleration 9 years 1 week ago #158063

Hi, i just want to confirm what i believe to be the problem,

Replaced the sparks yesterday as they were due a change and as most of the parts on this car are still from the factory im doing bits when i can. Now, imagine your standing at the drivers rear quarter overlooking the engine, on the 4th plug...

when removing the lead the plastic shroud broke and snapped into many bits...

I was able to remove all of the bits of plastic using a long screwdriver with blutack on the end before removing the old plug to ensure nothing got inside, im 100% sure i got it all out as i kept going until nothing more was left.

Got the plug out and installed the new ones, but when starting she was very shaky and then died, checked the leads were secure which they were and started her up again, this time started running fine and all seems well.

On a 2 mile test run not a single problem and again all seemed well. Engine temp went up to normal and i parked her up for a cuppa. 1/2 hour later the wife needed picking up and for the 5 mile ride down she was running great, on the way home she seems to judder a bit under acceleration and then accelerates as normal. Could i have damaged a lead while removing them? they were really stuck in there and i had to pull like hell to get them out especially the 4th one (one in pic with arrow). Ive ordered a new set of leads as they would need replacing anyway but will it cure my juddering problem?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

New plugs and judders under acceleration 9 years 1 week ago #158066

Sounds like a good place to start as that's the only thing (other than the plugs and I'm assuming those are gapped right) that you've touched I would have thought.

If the 4th cap was brittle, I wouldn't mind betting the others and / or the leads are in a similar state and could be breaking down.

Fingers crossed :broon:
Robin ;)

New plugs and judders under acceleration 9 years 1 week ago #158082

Dead leads does sound plausable.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

New plugs and judders under acceleration 9 years 1 week ago #158088

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
I replaced the leads when I did the plugs. Crap builds up under the shrouds on the metal parts also.
New plugs and leads cured an intermittent misfire.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

New plugs and judders under acceleration 9 years 1 week ago #158089

They were really stuck in there and took a hell of a lot of effort to get them out, wouldnt suprise me if they wernt the original ones. There was a slight cracking sound on one of them when i was trying to get it out. New ones are being delivered tomorrow so i will get them fitted on monday.

New plugs and judders under acceleration 9 years 1 week ago #158090

New leads will help I'm sure my plastic bit cracked off when i last changed the plugs,don't think mine had been off for years they were very hard to shift.
+1 on the spark plug gap too my ZT turbo is very sensitive to this and if the gap is to large I get a judder under heavy use of the right foot.I set my gap at 0.8mm and this sorts the problem for me.

New plugs and judders under acceleration 9 years 1 week ago #158092

Ok, i'll try the new leads and if that dosent cure it i'll get the feeler gauge out.

New plugs and judders under acceleration 9 years 1 week ago #158104

Right, whos in the wrong here? me or euro?

Leads arrived and theres only two in the box, each lead is 30cm long. have i ordered the wrong part or have they sent me the wrong part?

New plugs and judders under acceleration 9 years 1 week ago #158105

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
A lead set comprises 2 leads: 2 spark plugs are fed from the coil packs and the other 2 are slaved from the packs via the leads.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notanumber

Re:New plugs and judders under acceleration 9 years 1 week ago #158110

There are two types, one for cars with a distributor which has five leads and one for cars with coil packs, that has two leads. It is not always clear which type is In the box when ordering on line.

Last edit: Post by WeekendMonkey.

New plugs and judders under acceleration 9 years 1 week ago #158111

Thank you. Either way ive managed to source the correct set now and can hopefully get back on the road again when fitted.

New plugs and judders under acceleration 9 years 1 week ago #158129

Unless I am mistaken you have aVVC and there is only one set of leads for the VVC which has twin coil pack bolted to the rear of the engine.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT