Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Poll: Coolest MG - Small Saloon (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

MG KN
8 30.8%
MG 1100 / 1300
4 15.4%
MG Metro
5 19.2%
MG Maestro
2 7.7%
MG ZR
7 26.9%
Total number of voters: 26 ( COMMANDER, Ian Mc, west470, Cobber, Andy Lawrence ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Topic

Coolest MG - Small Saloon 12 years 1 month ago #43489

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Cool wall with a difference - I will post up a selection of MG's for you to choose from in each category.

Here are your five small MG Saloon cars to choose from. The question is which is your favourite or which, as a second or third car would you most like to own?

First up we have the MG KN of which only 201 were produced between 1933 - 1934. It was designed to use up surplus bodies made for the MG K-type saloons that were not sold. These bodies were fitted to the K1 chassis but had the more powerful MG N-type 1271 cc engine.

The body had no pillar between the front and rear doors. The front doors were hinged at the windscreen end and closed against the rear doors. To give the impression of being a two-door coupé the rear doors had no external handles. The absence of the central pillar affected the structure of the body and often caused problems. The 56 bhp engine would take the car to 78 mph.

We then had to wait 28 years for the next small MG saloon the MG 1100 / 1300 which were produced between 1962 - 1973. The BMC 1100 based MG saloons were the top selling car in Britain for many years with over 3 million 1100/1300 variants being produced between 1962 and 1973. The 1100 was available in two door form initially with 4 door versions following later, as it was felt that two doors went better with the sporting MG image!

Up next we have the smallest of the MG saloons, the MG Metro produced between 1982–1990. The termination of production of the MGB and the closure of the Abingdon factory in 1980 had provoked a huge outcry among enthusiasts around the world - a response which probably took British Leyland by surprise. The group had never given the marque the support it needed and almost certainly were not fully aware of the following enjoyed by MG cars of all types and vintages.

The Mini-Metro was introduced in 1980 and was quickly seen as a good car in the small car range. In 1981, much to everyone's surprise, British Leyland announced an MG version of the Metro saloon. This was greeted by some MG devotees with the usual cries of despair! However the front-wheel-drive small car was to prove very popular. It had all the essential design features of a fine small car, with a wheel at each corner, no overhanging bodywork to upset the balance, the MG Metro was almost guaranteed good handling characteristics.

The MG Metro was proving to be a sales success, and few of the general public expected a higher performance version, but just one year after the introduction of the MG Metro, the MG Metro Turbo was announced. Exhaust-driven turbochargers were becoming fashionable on production cars following a considerable effort which was being put into their development for Grand Prix racing.

Following quickly on to join the Metro the MG Maestro was produced from 1983–1991.The Metro was planned to be one of a series of cars which BL were to introduce for the 1980's, the next model in size being a larger hatchback called the Maestro. If the Turbo Metro had been a surprise to the general public, then there was absolute amazement that there should be an MG version of this new car. Also, the MG Maestro was introduced right at the start of the new model, which simply underlined the great success of the MG Metro. Production of both the Maestro and later the Montego was at Cowley and not Longbridge.

Last but not least we have the MG ZR. The MG-branded "hot hatch" version of the Rover 25 produced by MG Rover at their Longbridge plant in Birmingham from 2001 to 2005.

The MG ZR was one of Britain's most popular sporting hatchbacks throughout its production life, and in 2004 was MG Rover's best selling car—the first time that any MG product had been the most popular product of any of the many combines that had owned the MG marque. Tens of thousands of MG ZRs were sold in Britain, and proved particularly popular with young buyers who were attracted by deals such as free insurance and discounts that were the equivalent of VAT.

Very difficult with such a variety and ages of vehicles. Take a second look at all five before you decide, but don't forget to vote

To see all the Cool Wall cars click on this link :yesnod:

At the top of the Cool Wall section you will find the Coolest MG threads set out out in vehicles types.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: Coolest MG - Small Saloon 12 years 1 month ago #43537

• Squeaks
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Loving owning a Porsche :)
its between the KN and ZR but I gave it to the KN as it is so much more MG than the rover25zr thing.
I know im contradicting myself from other posts on cool wall but oh well
Dan :)

:D I may not always be right..... BUT I am NEVER wrong lol :D

Re: Coolest MG - Small Saloon 12 years 1 month ago #43555

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Metro Turbo = Immense :)

Re: Coolest MG - Small Saloon 12 years 1 month ago #43556

• Squeaks
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Loving owning a Porsche :)
technically 3 are hatchbacks lol :whistle:
Dan :)

:D I may not always be right..... BUT I am NEVER wrong lol :D

Re: Coolest MG - Small Saloon 12 years 1 month ago #43558

If we are talking what is Cool today, I'd go for the KN, i don't think if you turned up at any event in any of the others the crowd would say to each other "oh that Guy looks Cool getting out of that Metro/Maestro/ZR"

I love the Metro - Had an MG Metro, I considered a Maestro Turbo before the TF, also considered a ZR160, but decided on the TF despite the added practicalities of the back seats with three children!,
I think the world still attaches too much Stigma to the Metro and Maestro even if if does have the MG badge.

The 1100/1300 I think is old enough for it to start to be a cool retro car now, my vote goes to the KN, as we are talking Coolest. not best car of the bunch
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Turned to the Darkside, K&N Apollo and extra bling fitted.52mm TB

Re: Coolest MG - Small Saloon 12 years 1 month ago #43563

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
I found this one the hardest of the 'saloon' MG categories so far. Having the KN in the mix was perhaps a bit unfair on the others but MG just didn't make many small saloon cars so I grouped them all together.

I did have an MG Metro for a few weeks and did like it, it was a bit of fun, but with a growing family I had to sell it and get something bigger. I had a ZR as a rental car for a week one time was I was back in the UK on home leave and absolutely loved it, so have a soft spot for the ZR.

I'm afraid the Maestro I really dislike and the MG 1100 / 1300 just reminds me of the first car I ever bought which was a Austin 1100 which I had for a week after buying it at an auction only to discover it had more rust than metal body and the gearbox made a terrible sound when you changed down from 4th to 3rd. Still I made about £50 on it in 1980, so all's well that ends well :lol:

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: Coolest MG - Small Saloon 12 years 1 month ago #43594

technically 3 are hatchbacks lol :whistle:

Agreed, owned all 3, still got 2 of them, also had a BMC 1100 may years ago.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Coolest MG - Small Saloon 12 years 1 month ago #43595

Difficult one, had an MG Metro and MG Maestro years ago, never had a ZR but still really like them so going to go with the ZR
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Re: Coolest MG - Small Saloon 12 years 1 month ago #43596

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
:whistle: For saloon please read saloon / hatchback for small please read small family car / city car / supermini / mini

Hard bunch to satisfy this lot :slapme:

Re: Coolest MG - Small Saloon 12 years 1 month ago #43803

Yep - difficult but the KN still looks stylish.

Had an MG1100, MG Metro Turbo (1litre of oile per 1000 miles) and a Rover 200 Vi (superb car although not, technically MG) instead of ZR. Always thought the ZR a super size/looking car.

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Re: Coolest MG - Small Saloon 12 years 1 month ago #43908

I had a vi and two gti's so the ZR would be my first choice. I really like the BRM but it's a Rover :slapme:

Last edit: Post by Bob.

Re: Coolest MG - Small Saloon 12 years 1 month ago #43918

I think thr MG Y is pretty cool. Does it qualify as small?

And the Gerald Palmer designed Magnette?

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT