Hi all, I've just been given an MGF!

Replied by bryan young on topic Hi all, I've just been given an MGF!

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #158768
Looks a really nice VVC, whoever messed with the engine clearly didn't know what they were doing, got black sealant all over the block and the engine has been turned without clamping the liners in position first, might be worth consulting Russell Walsh or Jon Norris first before embarking in a new engine, you will need a VVC unless yo change the head and cam gear over Assuming its not cooked)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by The Arch Bishop on topic Hi all, I've just been given an MGF!

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #158772
Ok, it can't hurt having the existing engine inspected!

I see that MJS are not far from me either. Has anyone had any experience with them?
Last Edit:9 years 1 month ago by The Arch Bishop
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by The Arch Bishop.

Replied by Andy Lawrence on topic Hi all, I've just been given an MGF!

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #158776
Get Russell from mg rover solutions out.

He's the man :broon:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

The following user(s) said Thank You: The Arch Bishop

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #158778
I'll give him a ring next week - any idea how far he travels or how much he charges for travelling? I'm just north of Brighton and I see he's in Severn Oaks - I just don't want to be hit with a large bill for him travelling down to view a bag of spanners! I've got to keep this within a very tight budget as my wife is being very good about this so far and I want to keep it that way!

Replied by Leigh Ping on topic Hi all, I've just been given an MGF!

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #158779
:welcome:

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #158785
Give him a ring, he's very reasonable and won't rip you off.

he travels all over the country.

He's a good, honest guy.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

Replied by Blow-in on topic Hi all, I've just been given an MGF!

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #158787
Congratulations on your freebie. That would have been a top of the range car in its day and well worth considering keeping it looking original while improving the mechanical bits. That's quite a desirable body/trim combination.

Richard

1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

by Blow-in

Replied by CR41G on topic Hi all, I've just been given an MGF!

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #158792
If you go down the engine replacement route it would be sensible to replace headgasket water pump . Cam belt etc before fitting and even after that you cant garantee itll be ok until its in and running... if the current engine can be sorted without dropping it out it may work out cheaper to repair
by CR41G

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #158795

Blow-in wrote: Congratulations on your freebie. That would have been a top of the range car in its day and well worth considering keeping it looking original while improving the mechanical bits. That's quite a desirable body/trim combination.

Richard

Thanks Richard, I have to admit to only having a passing like for MGFs in the past, but having not even driven it, I've still gotten rather attached to it in a few days!

CR41G wrote: If you go down the engine replacement route it would be sensible to replace headgasket water pump . Cam belt etc before fitting and even after that you cant garantee itll be ok until its in and running... if the current engine can be sorted without dropping it out it may work out cheaper to repair

I'm all for not having to drop the engine as it means the additional expense of a longer reach jack and trying to free rusty subframe bolts! The reason I think this engine is probably beyond it is due to the liners which you can rotate by hand, but my experience of the K-Series is nil so I'm happy for an expert view and advice on economical repairs.

I've sent Rover Solutions a message to ask about getting him down to examine what I have and I'll go from there.

One way or another it'll be getting fixed! My Puma was a rotten shed when I bought it 5 years ago and if that didn't defeat me, this certainly won't! :lol:

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #158796
Russell responds better to a phone call.

I messaged him through his site and got no response.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #158815
I phoned Russell today, but he seemed unable to help sadly as it is a full day of work/travel to come down and examine a potentially dead engine. So it's a no from him at this point.

Replied by talkingcars on topic Hi all, I've just been given an MGF!

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #158827
Give Mike at MJS a ring, he offers a mobile service as well as having the workshop in Littlehampton, and can tow a vehicle back if need be.

Last year my wifes ZR's headgasket went leaving serious mayo all through the cooling system. Mike came up to Horsham to sort it, realised that he could do a better job of cleaning out the gunk in the workshop so offered to tow it back.

They do engine rebuilds and replacments in the workshop.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds