Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Side air intakes - How to fit scoops. 14 years 3 months ago #7220

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
To fit scoops to your side air intakes you will need:-

1x pair of scoops

1x pair of F side intakes
Adhesive - lots of
Masking tape - several rolls
Two-part car body filler
Various grades of wet & dry paper

This is what a scoop looks like:-

Remove your side intake from the car by undoing the two screws visible through the mesh. Take it inside and you should have something looking like this:-

Now the first thing to do, unless you intend to paint the scoop before you fix it to the intake, is that you will need to remove the mesh.

As I want to blend the scoop to the intake and then paint the result, so that, (hopefully!)the finished article will appear like original equipment, the mesh came out.

The original mesh is held in by slotting into a groove from the back, and then having a fixative applied . If you're lucky, like I was, the mesh will come out by flexing the intake slightly. If not you may need a sharp blade to cut the glue away. (Be careful!)

So now you should have this:-

and this:-

Mark the mesh so that you will be able to replace the meshes correctly later.

Now this next step can be a bit tricky, because the scoops can be almost matched the wrong way around. Like this:-

But the correct way is like this:-

Right, now that we know the right way, we need to attach the scoop.

I roughed up the bonding area with a coarse sandpaper and then applied a run of adhesive to the edge of the scoop.

Then I offered the scoop up to the intake and slid it into place.

When I was happy I held it in place with masking tape.
I then ran adhesive along the inside of the seam, and smoothed it with a wet finger.

OK, with the newly joined couple in a happy embrace, I put them away to allow them to get truly bonded.

With the adhesive set firmly, I removed the masking tape to behold this:-

Here is a view with the areas that I intended to fill:-

I mixed the two part filler and smoothed it into the areas shown above. When it had set, I used a coarse wet and dry paper to shape it:-

After that I continued to work the filler with finer and finer wet and dry until I was happy with the shape. I then applied a coating of primer grey:-

As I expected, the coat of paint highlighted my inadequacies in the smoothing department, so I repeated the above steps in filling the small imperfections and rubbing them down again.

When I was finally happy I applied another coat of primer and set it aside for the night:-

Next day, I keyed the primer with a 1200 wet and dry paper, and this also removed any tiny imperfection I had missed. And then I applied a coat of my preferred top coat:-

Not surprisingly (at least to me) this shiny coating highlighted further inadequacies in my smoothing so I am currently awaiting this coat's drying with the help of a heat gun.

I will then rub down a few areas and again finish with the 1200 paper.

I have also realised that I should not have painted the securing lugs - these should be black so they don't show up when the intake is replaced.

Another view. I just have to paint the fixing lugs black, and then I'll fit them to the car.

So piccies on the car. I apologize for the filthy state of it.

BEFORE:-

AFTER:-

Oh, before I forget, the easiest way to refit the scooped intake is to put both screws into the lugs before you try to fit the intake. Screw them in so that there is maybe two or three full turns left to full insertion.
This means that the sharp end of the screw is protruding through the lug by nearly half the length of the screw.

Then offer the intake up and locate the screws in the spring clips and using a long thin screwdriver push the screws into the clips. Then you need only screw the screws in the remaining amount to secure the intake.

I hope that makes sense. If not, ask and I'll try put some pics up of what I mean.

This method is so much easier than trying to get that top screw in with the intake already in place, believe me! :yesnod: __________________
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, sandl, monteray sam

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: photo links

Re: Side air intakes - How to fit scoops. 11 years 10 months ago #53023

Like the scoops, where can you get them and how much?
Many thanks
Pete

Re: Side air intakes - How to fit scoops. 11 years 10 months ago #53065

Scoops. :)

Re: Side air intakes - How to fit scoops. 11 years 10 months ago #53066

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!

Scoops. :)

I have two silver ones from my 99F

Re: Side air intakes - How to fit scoops. 11 years 10 months ago #53068

I have two silver ones from my 99F

Drop them a pm and maybe sort out a reasonable price for this worthy pensioner Ben. :)

Are they in the 'for sale' section?

Re: Side air intakes - How to fit scoops. 11 years 10 months ago #53069

I only see standard scoops, is it a case of butchering one of these and reforming it to add to the original, or have all the 'half scoops' been sold?
I haven’t lost my marbles they are in a bag somewhere

Re: Side air intakes - How to fit scoops. 11 years 10 months ago #53072

I only see standard scoops, is it a case of butchering one of these and reforming it to add to the original, or have all the 'half scoops' been sold?

I don't see any butchering in the guide above. Maybe one of the F owners will know for sure? It's a shame that the guide author is in paradise right now. Or, at least almost there, in Bali.

1x pair of scoops
1x pair of F side intakes

This is what a scoop looks like:-

Remove your side intake from the car by undoing the two screws visible through the mesh. Take it inside and you should have something looking like this:-

Right now, I could only find TF scoops and MGF side air intakes on fleabay I'm afraid. That might be because it's a popular mod. Or it could be because everybody thinks they're overheating. :lol:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yellow Peril

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Side air intakes - How to fit scoops. 11 years 10 months ago #53088

It is all these familiar objects from unfamiliar views/angles that are getting my head screwed, Ken
I haven’t lost my marbles they are in a bag somewhere

Re: Side air intakes - How to fit scoops. 11 years 10 months ago #53090

I know what you mean Ken. It can be a bit of a jigsaw when you first see parts that aren't in their 'natural state'. :)

Here, I've revamped a couple of pics which gives you more of a normal view.

Attachments:

Re: Side air intakes - How to fit scoops. 11 years 10 months ago #53092

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Food, Photography & Little British Sports Cars
One tip though, when fitting side air intake scoops is, at the lowest point and where it can't be seen from the outside, drill a small drain hole otherwise the little buggers fill up with water and dirt.

Craig
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, tikkathreebarrels

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Selected as a 'POW'! (Pearl of Wisdom). Thanks Craig.

Re: Side air intakes - How to fit scoops. 11 years 10 months ago #53094

I found the m on this site

http://www.carstyleplus.co.uk/MGF/mgf.html

Re: Side air intakes - How to fit scoops. 11 years 10 months ago #53095

Priced at £31.95 from 'Car Style Plus UK (click click). Pics by courtesy of Car Style Plus UK.

Make sure you read the advert thoroughly!

Please Note : A flat rate of £30 (UK) / £45.00 (other EU countries) shipping applies to each GRP / Fibreglass / Carbon Fibre / Carbon Kevlar product within this section (due to both the size and the weight of these items). This shipping fee applies to your whole order - Therefore, if you purchase multiple items then it is still £ 30.00 / £45.00 for your entire order. Please add this shipping fee to your order from within the shopping cart.

The advert also says 'Includes FREE UK Shipping'. - Make sure you clarify this with them. Their email address is found in the 'contact' area of their website.

UPDATE (Shoutbox message from 'paulsmgf' after an email from 'carstyleplus') - Hi, £31.95 / pair inc UK delivery Regards, Dave.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT