Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Door mirrors - How to dismantle, replace glass. 13 years 8 months ago #14826

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
I needed to dismantle the offside mirror as a passing car had damaged the black surround and cracked the glass.

As a temporary measure I obtained a replacement glass from Halfords. It simply stuck on top of the damaged original.

However I obtained a replacement mirror complete from Rimmer Bros. for a very reasonable £20.
And this is how I replaced the black surround and mirror.

If you need to get into the mirrors, they come apart quite easily.

The black surround detaches from the painted section by the careful use of a thin blade or screwdriver. Push the black surround down and out, to unclip it.

If you pull the glass equally from each end, it simply pulls off its cradle, leaving only the two electrical connections to disconnect to remove the glass completely.

Then I simply replaced the damaged surround and glass with the equivalent pieces from the new mirror, by connecting the electrics, then locating the four prongs on the new glass into the cradle and pushing it to snap into place. The surround is similarly located and snaps back into place by pressing around the perimeter.

Glass Replacement

If you just need to replace the glass, there is an easier method.

If you push the glass so you can get your finger ends around the the outer edge.

If you look within the mirror you will see a bare metal plate

Use one finger to push that metal plate back as you pull the glass outwards.

The glass will release from the cradle, you will then need to undo the two electrical clips to remove the glass.

Then you just need to connect the two wires, locate the new glass by the little prongs and push firmly back into place.

If anyone needs a Nightfire Red door mirror, with a damaged surround and a stuck on glass, I have one.:yesnod:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, richandpaula

Please Log in to join the conversation.

wing mirror motor 13 years 7 months ago #15792

david,
just seen this excellent article and wondered if I could get access to my motor using this method of dismantling?
The passeneger side wing mirror adjustment motor is not moving as well as the driver side and it may be possible to see what is wrong
thanks
Mike

Door mirrors - How to dismantle, replace glass. 13 years 7 months ago #15793

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.

david,
just seen this excellent article and wondered if I could get access to my motor using this method of dismantling?
The passeneger side wing mirror adjustment motor is not moving as well as the driver side and it may be possible to see what is wrong
thanks
Mike

Yes Mike,You can see the motor in this photo:-
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: fix attachment

Door mirrors - How to dismantle, replace glass. 13 years 7 months ago #15837

David,
thanks-I will let you know if I find out what is wrong with my motor on the passeneger side.
Mike

Re: Door mirrors - How to dismantle, replace glass. 11 years 7 months ago #65497

Fix the mirror carefully cut the black plastic surround from the glass and after that replace the glass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Door mirrors - How to dismantle, replace glass. 8 years 6 months ago #162728

Great 'How To' David - thank you. :)

Door mirrors - How to dismantle, replace glass. 8 years 6 months ago #162837

Door mirror glass now replaced. It took me 5 minutes tops. Thanks again for the 'How To' David. :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT