Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Birds of a feather 8 years 9 months ago #160458

This post is aimed at nature enthusiasts out there..............during a trip out around the peak district in my mgtf i stopped by a field which had a herd of dear in it.........With the roof down and enjoying the scenery i noticed a small bird sitting on the fence to my right..........not 100% on the breed,,may of been a finch......would of fitted in one hand easy...............what was to happen next supprised me...............the little bird flew away in a upward direction.....it was up above when a hawk flew in ...........with talons open in what i can discribe as a sideways attack.....................my girlfriend.in the passenger seat was quick to shout at the hawk......dont forget the roof was down on the tf and this was happening within 10ft or more above our heads............the hawk seamed to abbort the attack has i put my hands over my head expecting the hawk to crash into the car............yes it must of been quick but seamed in slo motion thinking back.............the hawk flew to the far right end of the field//////but this was the spectacular thing......this little bird seamed to go after the hawk as if to say get out of here..................before a crow came on sight and chased the hawk away...............are these little birds kamakazee pilots or what? B)..............as anyone had simmular encounters............

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Birds of a feather 8 years 9 months ago #160466

As the saying goes "it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog"

We have loads of buzzards flying around by us and the missus thinks that they live on berries and twigs :whistle:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

Birds of a feather 8 years 9 months ago #160467

The LBB (Little Brown Bird B) ) was defending it's territory and probably it's young. We have a few acres and see it often here as we aslo get regular visits from the Sparrow Hawks, have Kestrels nesting on site, and fairlyregularly see the Marsh Harrier, Buzzards, Barn Owl,Little Owls, and some times even a Hobby. Sky Larks do this as do other LBB's and Black Birds are little terrors for it.

Last edit: Post by Plezier. Reason: Speling error

Birds of a feather 8 years 9 months ago #160490

The lbb probably only did it for a lark.
:coat:
David
:shrug:

Birds of a feather 8 years 9 months ago #160492

have Kesterals

I've got some of that in the fridge. Only it must be foreign crap, cos it's spelt diffent. :)

Birds of a feather 8 years 9 months ago #160498

have Kesterals

I've got some of that in the fridge. Only it must be foreign crap, cos it's spelt diffent. :)

Whilst I am glad that you have woken up tot eh fact that most foreign stuff is crap :pop: I have amended the spelling error to keep you happy.

I will say that sadly my eduction was not up to the highest standard being from the newly brought in "Comprehensive System" which I believe was brought in my Wilson's Labour lot. Their idea it seems was to mass produce factory fodder from Comprehensive schools the management and White/Blue coller lot would come for the Grammer Schools. Hence the education was not very good. Of course the fact that I did not appreciate being designated as "Factory Fodder" did not help matters and got me into a lot of trouble when I questioned the system. As a factory destined clone I was to suppsed to just listen and believe eveything they said..................................................... however that is NOT in my particular "make up" and so was labelled a trouble maker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Birds of a feather 8 years 9 months ago #160500

I knew what you meant though...
:lol:

We have a regular sparrowhawk attack through the garden. Then after it has terrorised all the small birds it loses its speed advantage and has to beat its wings like hell to try to gain altitude again, closely pursued by a flock of angry little brown birds, :bust:
David

Birds of a feather 8 years 9 months ago #160501

Yes the little blighters actually bully the Birds of Prey. This is how I found the Owl roosting in the Willow tree all the comontion of the LBB's harassing it whilst it tied to sleep.

Birds of a feather 8 years 9 months ago #160504

Blah.. don't worry about spelling here. :)

I see quite a bit of wildlife on my woodland walks just lately. Heron, muntjac deer, owls, a peregrine falcon and in the local lake a couple of turtles bigger than a human head. I didn't know we had those here and thought it was fake until it slid off it's log into the water.

Birds of a feather 8 years 9 months ago #160515

yes ............its a shame the deer in the peak district were not there naturally...........what i mean is they are farmed for the table.........i had a sparrow hawk taking sparrows in my garden...............he would sit on my telephone wire and strike has they fed on fatballs hanging from a tree branch............i stopped his feasting by placing a landrover series 1 grille in front of the fatball holder..............got some strange comments when people who saw the grille.................whats that for then?.................wind chime i replied............you never know what you might find in your garden.......found a fox cub lieing in the back garden.............no he wasnt telling fibs........he was.injured kept him in the back of my landrover with a wireless cctv hooked up to the house.......gave him food and water........and then took him to nantwich rspca wildlife rescue......dieing kitten....which now runs the house......scratches my wallpaper and has drawn blood a couple of times has hes done some kind of african death roll on my arm..........also found a netherland dwarf rabbit hopping around one night.............totally made me jump out of my skin...........because it was late at night.......and has like before the landrover was the inn for the night,,,,,i picked the little blighter up...........never expected it to scream like a mug victim................it must of woke the whole street........after asking around whos he was.....he had to go .......thanks to leek rabbit rescue for taking her off my hands.....the guy running the rescue explaind.....the rabbit was soon to be having little bunnies...................last but not least..............dont know if i mentioned this before.............have you ever been chased by a screaming frog?.............yep i have........thought the girlfriend was going mad when she said shes been attacked by a screaming frog.................what? no way................on putting the keys in the door one evening......the frog hopped at me with a screaming sound......tell me you would not back off like i did........did laugh after..........go on you tube .....look for screaming frog.......found out its very common......not seen any kesterals ... :yesnod:....

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Birds of a feather 8 years 9 months ago #160526

Blah.. don't worry about spelling here. :)

I see quite a bit of wildlife on my woodland walks just lately. Heron, muntjac deer, owls, a peregrine falcon and in the local lake a couple of turtles bigger than a human head. I didn't know we had those here and thought it was fake until it slid off it's log into the water.

The Turtles I believe need reporting as they are non indigenous and threaten the survival of native species. They are probably Snapper that some one had as a pet then just tossed out when they became a problem. I also believe theya re good eating according to soem American friends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Birds of a feather 8 years 9 months ago #160528

Screaming frog is probably preferable to Crazy Frog! :yesnod: :bust:

We can get badgers, red squirrels, hedgehogs, foxes, rabbits, pheasants, grouse, quail and a polecat in the garden, but they don't stay long once the dogs have realised something has invaded their territory. Red Deer sometimes appear in the fields outside.

Also have had a herd of sheep, half a dozen bullocks, several turkeys, chickens, and guinea fowl wander in after escaping from their enclosures.

In terms of wild birds, we have 90 species locally(many on the RED list) but whether they've all been through the garden is difficult to say as I'm not a twitcher and one lbb(little brown bird) looks very much like another lbb! But we do have a thriving tree sparrow population, house sparrows in abundance.

I have about 10 bird boxes in the garden and I believe they are all occupied. (Why so many? Whenever I build something, I use the waste wood to make another bird box).

We have 3 species of bat patrolling the garden and I have put up a bat box but that is still vacant at the moment. I did buy a bat detector to hear them calling, and it is really interesting to listen to them as they hunt insects at dusk.

There are frogs(non screaming), toads and newts in the pond too.
David
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT