Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Project MGF 11 years 5 months ago #84985

Some may know, but I expect most won't, I took on Project 75 from Austin Rover Onlines Keith Adams a few months back as a works hack and 2nd car, but I've never really gelled with the 75, this was my third, and basically confirmed what I knew, nice looking car, but Rover did do better! A fellow member on ARO was looking to swap his MGF for a 75 as he was in need of a car with rear seats to be able to take the grandkids out, so a deal was done, he took on the 75 and I get the F. I much prefer the simpler, and easier to fix MG-R products, when bmw got involved with the 75, well, everything is that bit more awkward and more expensive usually!

Those that know me will know I've had pretty much at least one of everything made by Rover - MG-R, but this is my first ever F, and only my second ever MG, first being a D plate MG Montego which I loved! That car went through hell with me, but only ever came home on a recovery truck once in the 2 years and 20,000 miles I had it, and that's when the rad blew at 3am in Bristol!

Anyways, enough of the boring stuff and onto the F, it's not a perfect example, it's been used, and is typical of 14 year old car, it's going to need some fettling and some bits sorted, which all being well, will be done over time, as and when time and funds allow.

So, this is the old girl as arrived yesterday.

Looking a bit sorry for itself, but nothing that can't be sorted.

So after a wet start to the day, the rain stopped early enough to at least try and get the hood sorted, I don't think it had been cleaned for a while!

so after some elbow grease and some cleaner, along with a wash for the rest of the car, things look up a bit

clearly shows just how grubby it had got

As the rain held off I whipped both the seats out so I could give everything a good clean, and clean and feed the leather too.

I'll let the food work in a bit and give it another feed over the next few days, should help the leather no end.

After all this it repaid me by failing to start!! After fixing the fob last night, it died again, so immobiliser was stuck on. After several choice words, I dug the iron back out and did it again, and after re-synching it would lock and unlock on the fob, and immobiliser would disarm, fingers crossed it will be ok from now on.

I've started to make a mental list of the bits that need sorting, and so far have come up with, rear screen replacement, suspension pump up, I think we're running on the bump stops as it's as bouncy as, new screen, exhaust, rust on front wing and screen surround, as well as smaller spots in various other places like side vents and boot lid, clear front indicators and side repeaters, sorting seals as carpets were damp, screeching alternator belt on start up, and whatelse I may have forgotten since tea time!!

Once the important bits are sorted then I may consider getting shiny bits bought and fitted B)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Project MGF 11 years 5 months ago #84987

Hood came up well, looks a good base to work on.

Best of luck with getting up to how you want it.

Be worth it next year, If we get a summer so you can get the hood down!!

:drive: :drive:

Re: Project MGF 11 years 5 months ago #84988

Wow it's amazing what a clean and some elbow grease can do, good luck with the project. I guess you like red cars?

Re: Project MGF 11 years 5 months ago #84989

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Nice one, roof lifted really well :broon:

Re: Project MGF 11 years 5 months ago #84994

I can't believe what a state that roof was in, but you did a cracking job of restoring it.

Are the red leather accessories standard?

Just my opinion but I think the windscreen surround would look great in body colour.
stevecrx
'98 'F, BRG Poverty Spec Edition
Build Thread

Re: Project MGF 11 years 5 months ago #84996

Great car and the BEST colour combination! One thing - DO NOT USE colour restorer on the hood... it is totally the wrong red and will ruin it!

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Re: Project MGF 11 years 5 months ago #84997

:broon: on the roof job!:broon:
David
:shrug:

Re: Project MGF 11 years 5 months ago #84998

top job on the hood.. what did you use to get it looking like that ?

Freestyle and TF for Sale Mk1 work in progress, well it never stops does it lol

Re: Project MGF 11 years 5 months ago #85000

Erm yeah, does kinda look red on the front, although my PI that the Dolomite came in PX for was blue!

Hood could still do with another go, but the amount of green slime and muck that came out was grim, I think it must have been parked under a tree!

Not sure if the red leather bits are standard or not, I know the steering wheel is a common fitment, but not sure if it was a tick on the options list or aftermarket. Screen surround may go body colour, see how the rust repair pans out first!!

Re: Project MGF 11 years 5 months ago #85002

top job on the hood.. what did you use to get it looking like that ?

So far, warm water, some Hellfrauds car shampoo and a soft brush with added elbow grease, followed by a soft cloth and more elbow grease. Having been signed off work for teh past 6 weeks I've been told I'm not allowed to spend on luxuries by SWMBO!! :lol:

Re: Project MGF 11 years 5 months ago #85015

Saw this on .org, tidy motor like, cracking job on the roof, my word that was dirty. :broon:

Re: Project MGF 11 years 5 months ago #85223

org eh? Do you happen to have a link at all? Ta

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT