Sign In   Register

Topic

My MGF Story and work done 12 years 1 month ago #43415

Well it all started with my sons 17th birthday looming.. yes you guessed it already, I was out and about looking for a cheap car to buy for him you know the sort of 4/5 hundred quid mark.. whilst scouring ebay and local ads i came across the MGF (obviously I knew this would not be a first car lol ) £450 start price only just listed , I called the guy asked for a test drive and met him that afternoon so i get there and he explained he had lost his job 12 mths ago and couldnt afford to run it and his motorbike and he prefered bikes than cars so it had to go and help pay bills, short and long of it was i offered him £450 cash there and then and he took it,

The bad points no MOT or tax had not been driven for almost a year and stored in a stable ... suspension sagged drivers carpet in a bit of a sad state wing mirrors peppered with stone chips same as bumper, and a thumb sized rust spot by the side of the air scoop,

everything else looked and sounded good 83k on the clock. had to pump up the suspension first it failed MOT on......... get ready... no water in washer bottle and horn not working. (the guy had pulled the fuse so as not to risk disturbing the horses at the stable preventing the alarm from going off)

I just chucked it in without doing a thing to find out worse scenario.. what a bonus.

next i will list whats been going on work wise.

this is it when i bought it

Freestyle and TF for Sale Mk1 work in progress, well it never stops does it lol
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: My MGF Story and work done 12 years 1 month ago #43416

Rignt now to the nitty gritty, Had the car two weeks and bang HGF

So almost £500 later its back on the road
Picked up a black hardtop for £225

Heater switch and relay £5
Got the drivers side carpet £10
spare convertible roof (Ebay) £65
Replacement window for original hood (split it being silly ) £35
clear front indicators (ebay) got lucky £15 for the pair

new gearknob £10.00
nearly new leather seats and door cards £115 the lot

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping, Tsleight

Re: My MGF Story and work done 12 years 1 month ago #43420

Looking good and what a steal. :broon:

Re: My MGF Story and work done 12 years 1 month ago #43422

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Very nice :broon:

Re: My MGF Story and work done 12 years 1 month ago #43423

Thanks,

also done the following

Fixed filled and resprayed rust spot

Re painted grille mesh with chrome paint

Re sprayed mirrors

Also resprayed foot rest silver

fitted new leather gear gator as well and sprayed the seat belt slots same as body colour

been busy the last few weekends not bad for only having it for 4 weeks lol ..

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: My MGF Story and work done 12 years 1 month ago #43467

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Keep an eye on the vents, they can go rusty quite quickly, mine have just had their second respray in 2 years :(

You are going great guns.. :broon:

Next it will be the Darkside ;)

Re: My MGF Story and work done 12 years 1 month ago #43468

Great F for a great price! You certainly have the knack with respraying metallic colours!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jac114

Re: My MGF Story and work done 12 years 1 month ago #43479

Keep an eye on the vents, they can go rusty quite quickly, mine have just had their second respray in 2 years :(

You are going great guns.. :broon:

Next it will be the Darkside ;)

Haha I think i have just joined the darkside you may have seen 52mm throttle body on its way and so it starts

oh and chears adam, i think it was all the practice spraying my sons bmx frames with aerosol cans lol.. learnt to be slow and not rush and be tempted to just spray a little more. thin coats allowing to dry or at least be tacky and many of them lol

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Re: My MGF Story and work done 12 years 1 month ago #43683

a bit more done and more coming to do lol

Have decided to colour code a few trim peices to body colour so my first bit done

got my new gear knob today,, feels much better too and makes the stick look shorter to

and on its way... which i will also spray body colour

what with the seats door cards throttle body and now the trim I think i might just be another busy weekend.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, bryan young, Leigh Ping

Re: My MGF Story and work done 12 years 1 month ago #43727

Great job. More info on the 'rust spot' would be nice Jac. :)

Re: My MGF Story and work done 12 years 1 month ago #43728

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Leigh is there a how too on how to get that bit off .. The last picture on Jac's center console thing ??
I would like to respray mine :yesnod:

Re: My MGF Story and work done 12 years 1 month ago #43797

hey softly, its really easy to do, when i actually get it i will do some how to photos, along with the spray process,

the rust spot was easy, i bought a product called kurust, you apply it as instructions on bottle it starts to turn the rust blue and then black, takes about 3 hrs before you can do anything on top of it, i then mixed some 2 pack easy sand body filler just enough for the job and put it on so it was raised enough to sand back down smooth first carefully with 400 grit wet and dry just to take of the bulk of the filler (doing it very carefully) then repeated with 1200 grit then finally 1600grit making sure it was kept wet with soft rubbing till i was happy enough with the fihish (glass smooth) then a quick spray of primer (just a dusting) then when dry using your body colour paint do a dusting coat, (tip : before applying to car test can on old newspaper... this makes sure that the nozzle is spraying as it should... a nice even mist ) so do a light misting over area oh.. dont forget to mask of any trim you dont want to get spray on .. and dont be put of that the first mist coat doesnt look like much has been applied... dont be tempted to keep spraying until covered.. that is the number 1 downfall for people.. to much paint becomes heavy and sags.. (the orange peel affect) and dont aim can at one spot you would be supprised that a split second in the same spot can cause to much paint to be applied and then run.. keep that can moving.. if you have never done spraying before i think a good idea is to get some old cheap part from a scrap yard and practice until you comfortable you can do it on your own car.. because the next part .. applying clear coat (laquer) is even harder.. but same process...

The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, bryan young, Leigh Ping

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT