Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Tooltime 2 years 3 months ago #198314

I'm an old bastard, and still only buy quality.
Especially where precision is required, take for example a set of digital calipers, you can buy Chinese rubbish from around A$30, and you can measure something 6 times and get 7 different results or you can do what I do and spend about 10 times as much on a set of Mitutoyo (Japanese) digital calipers and you can measure something 100 times and get the one result!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roverlike, sworkscooper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tooltime 2 years 3 months ago #198315

When tool is in question, I will just quote "I am not that rich to buy cheap stuff".
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Tooltime 2 years 3 months ago #198317

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
I usually buy tools in Lidl or Aldi. They are good quality and cheap.
David
:shrug:

Tooltime 2 years 3 months ago #198320

The question was about priorities. Tools you don't often need. A toolroom worker will swear by a Mitutoyo and I have only used Fluke multimeters for forty years but an amateur mechanic might only need the tool once or twice in a lifetime. My Welder is from Machine Mart and twenty years old at least The compressor was from Aldi even longer ago. Neither will be found in a professional garage but with time and care both deliver good results. A set of Snap on ring spanners is a better buy than a top end digital calliper at the same money but a £ 150 tool chest does the job of a £1000 one equally well. My cheapies over the last year: BMW timing kit. Cost: 7 minutes dealer workshop time. Saving: about £500. Alternator pulley tool. Cost £9. Use once. Saving £110. The splined drive I needed to get a steering wheel off once cost more than both. I shall never need it again.
There are no rules; but if you will only use it once, don't spend much. If you will still need it to fix your Zimmer frame in fifty years' time, buy the best you can get
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT