• Page:

Topic

A Newbies viewpoint - Crackpot Run 21 May 2011 12 years 10 months ago #24371

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
This is my account of my first outing with any MG group. Be warned it's long :lol: You might want to get a cuppa before you start this one, so here goes

Fuel ….. Check, Oil ……Check, Water……. Check, Tyre Pressure…. Check, this is not an exhaustive list,
Bacon, egg, fried onion on thick toast, brown sauce……Check,
Mug of tea …..Check (unfortunately not a T-Bar Mug).
Well with everything checked, here we (me and my son) set off as we go on our first ever MG meet. We’ve signed up to meet with the organiser, Pendle Lass and a few others at Banny’s at the end of the M65 at 9.00 - 9.15.
Top down and away we go.
The weathers ok and clearing the further north we travel. Anticipation builds as the signs countdown to the end of the M65, bang on schedule, 8.57, “you’ll see lots of MGF’s and TF’s when we get into the car park son”. Round the traffic island, 2nd left, into the car park and……… nothing, not a sausage. OMG have I got it wrong, wrong day, wrong month, did they put the clocks forward an hour last night? Have they already left? Where are they?
“Wow,lol, yep that sure is a great sight dad”
They’ll be here soon, I said, get the first photo of the day, they’ll be here soon.

We didn’t have to wait long before, in quick succession, the mini convoy began to assemble to be led by Pendle Lass, Tracy and Daz, not forgetting the well dressed preeti.

Brief introductions over then off we went, Tracy’s gorgeous gleaming yellow TF an easy marker to follow. Seven strong and just a few hundred yards up the road before we are joined by an eighth, the journey to the start of the Border Patrol Crackpot run had begun.

A sight which is soon to become a familiar one as the day progresses is revealed in the delighted faces of the bystanders who turn with smiling faces as they are greeted by the line of proud MG’s. Parents point to the convoy and tell their children about the great little British sport car, as the cars snake past.

They are not the only ones with smiling faces. A wonderful chorus erupts as a range of exhausts tones fill the air as we begin to climb the winding tree lined roads toward Stump Cross Caves. Like a proud mother Swan, Tracy keeps a close eye on her flock with the newbie cygnets, like me (ok, grey haired cygnet), following in her wake with magnificent stealth stripes of the TF of phil-hex, Phil and Maggie bringing up the rear to make sure no one was left behind.

All too soon it was time to pull off the road and into the large car park at Stump Cross where lined up were another eight MG’s, plus two rather strange masked figures dressed in skin tight lycra, who after posing aloft their cars bounded into the café for a cup of tea and a cake.

It was here I first met cjj. Clive, standing in the queue to be served, I did not recognise him without the wig ;) , when he turned to me and said are you….. :unsure: are you…… one of them, What! :ohmy: Are you with the…. Oh :yesnod: yes yes I’m here on the run, PQD44, Paul and this is Saul, the sensible one, :lol: .

After a nice relaxing drink and a chance to get to say hello and have a chat people we all gradually drifted back outside to admire everyone’s cars, whose numbers had been increased by two at this stage and so we have a grand total eighteen.

Photograph courtesy of Damien, MeetWithDamien(c)

A map and information sheet, to allow you to make the very best of the day were then supplied to everyone, with Walkie Talkie radio’s being made available to those not already in possession of one, as mobile phone reception was patchy to say the least. The planning was faultless, the atmosphere relaxed, reassuring and inviting all at the same time. I find it difficult to express my gratitude and admiration for those who made this event seam so effortless. I’m sure I speak on behalf of all the newbies when I say a huge “Thank You” to everyone involved.
I have left this next ‘event’ till last because it deserves special mention, it was here that we were given our cosseted Border Patrol Sticker, a badge I am proud to display on my MGF. I have always been against any sort of stickers in car windows but for this I made an exception.

The cars start up and we set off out of the gate and down the hill with the truly spectacular Vintage Racing TF of MeetWithDamien in front of us, Damien raise both arms and the ‘roller coaster’ ride that was the Crackpot Run 2011 was well and truly under way. The MG ’18 carriage roller coaster’ stretches out and is superb sight as the cars disappear then reappear on the undulating country roads.

The pace is perfect on roads expertly selected by the organisers. Ideally suited to the cars, the true meaning of MGF/TF ownership is now realised, as the convoy weave through the stunning Yorkshire Dales.
Heading North towards our lunch time appointment with Britain’s highest pub on Tan Hill we make a couple of stops, to catch our breath, take in the scenery and take photos of the cars in their preferred surroundings.

After the second of such stops and with the expert eye of Damien having organised the cars we set off on the final leg before lunch, the fabulous Butter Tubs Pass then on to Thwaite, Keld before the final climb to Tan Hill.

The Butter Tubs Pass was described on the info sheet as follows;
Butter Tubs Pass – What can I say about this road its fabulous, I think Jeremy Clarkson once summed it up “The temptation is to drive very quickly because it’s a great road and, unless you like sheep, there are few visual distractions. But at the top, you just have to slow down. This is because there’s a very steep drop to your left and the barrier is nothing more than a length of B&Q hosepipe. But also because the view is just epic”. We will be on the safe side of the road but it’s still great.

The road does not disappoint and lives up to every expectation, can this ride please not stop, this is MGF heaven. What happened next would demonstrate another side of the Border Patrol, an ‘incident’ which would prove that if you were ever to need help, these would be the people you would want to hand.
Travelling roughly two thirds down the convoy I glimpsed across the next hump a silver car in an unusual position, as I turned the corner and began the descent to the left hander I could see it was one of our own and at first sight things did not bode well. As I pulled to halt, I watched as the blood stained figure of Kameleon, Paul, was helped to the opposite side of the road by cjj, Clive and others. The atmosphere was calm and purposeful, club members attend to Paul, put up warning triangles, moved out of the way. Call the emergency services called one of the girls. No mobile signal was available in this remote area We are going to call we informed them and set off up the hill, my son with a mobile in each hand trying to get a signal as soon as possible, but the landscape would thwart our efforts to locate a signal and so on we sped towards Thwaite, passing Iain, Tracy and Daz making their way back up the hill towards the scene. Without stopping we told them what was happening and drove into the village and then in to the open door of a pub. The landlord rang 999, we gave details and he gave excellent directions for the emergency services. We then made our way back to reassure the others that help was on the way.

The scene was tranquil, with a bandaged Paul sat enveloped in a supportive hug on either side by Phil and Maggy.

There was now time to survey the accident properly and reflect on just how lucky Paul was and how lucky it was he was not carrying a passenger.

A passing couple stopped and the elderly driver asked Paul how he was….
I’m ok, I ‘ll feel a lot better when they find my passenger was his reply. Once I heard that I knew there couldn't be that much wrong him, apart from a slightly twisted sense of humour that is.
The ambulance was on the scene quickly, relatively speaking, taking into account the remote location. With Clive & Anne, Phil & Maggy, Damien and copperknob, Steve looking after Paul we could be of no further assistance and so made our way to the Tan Hill Pub to join the others.

[attachment:22]Sheep are stupid.jpg[/attachment]

Phew, they said it would be exciting, but that was a little more excitement than we had bargained on.
It wasn’t too long before the others, less Steve who was going to the hospital with Paul, arrived at the Pub and tucked in to nice meal and a well earned drink.

[attachment:21]Tan Hill 2.jpg[/attachment]

Despite being the highest Pub the road away from the pub climbed even higher and secure in the knowledge that Paul was not seriously injured, the Border Patrol Crackpot run settled back in to the swing of things and snaked it’s way across fords, over hump backed bridges, past a castle, round hairpin bends, up and down steep inclines, punctuated by the smiling faces of onlookers in the villages and hamlets as the Border Patrol provided a colourful automotive spectacular display as it made its way on the last stretch to the finish at The Craven Heifer Inn. One or two had begun to make their own way home and we had had to leave Iain’s yellow F at Tan Hill Pub after his coolant had decided to make it’s own way down the hill. The festivities continued in the Pub but, unfortunately a long standing invitation to some friends meant we needed to make tracks back from here.

Well there you have my first impressions of my first Border Patrol run. Undoubtedly this was only the first of many. If you’ve never been on one of these runs – Get to one, you cannot fail to have a great time.
Many thanks once again to each and everyone involved in the organisation and for the way you made a newbie and his son feel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, bryan young, Leigh Ping, cruisingkerry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: A Newbies viewpoint - Crackpot Run 23 May 2011 12 years 10 months ago #24372

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
A very well written write up Paul and I'm just glad the events didn't put you and your son off the runs.

It was nice to meet you both, I think you both fit right in with the rest of the crew, I'll let you decide whether that is good or bad. :)

A few people commented on how cool Saul was during the "Incident", so he's welcome any time as the token adult. ;)

I've just edited some of your attachments as they weren't displaying properly. 2 of them must not of loaded, so I couldn't fix them.

Last edit: Post by cjj.

Re: A Newbies viewpoint - Crackpot Run 21 May 2011 12 years 10 months ago #24373

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Thanks for sorting that first post out, it looked like a dog's dinner the last time I saw it ;)

A very well written write up Paul and I'm just glad the events didn't put you and your son off the runs.

It was nice to meet you both, I think you both fit right in with the rest of the crew, I'll let you decide whether that is good or bad. :)

A few people commented on how cool Saul was during the "Incident", so he's welcome any time as the token adult. ;)

I've just edited some of your attachments as they weren't displaying properly. 2 of them must not of loaded, so I couldn't fix them.

We realise that this 'incident' was an extraordinary one off and very, very unexpected. Saul had a great time, he was quite shaken, as we all were, by the scene of the crash but on the road away from you to make the call, that calm purposeful atmosphere settled him and he was purely focused on trying to get a mobile signal, a phone in each raised arm.

There was such a diverse 'crew' and great atmosphere that I find it hard to believe that anyone attending could not have a good time.

As for the two attachments I'll see if they appear this time, the first, one of the indigenous population

and one from Tan Hill, Phil's magnificent stealth striped TF

There was so much going on that day and I have only given the briefest mention of the people, places and events, so my apologies for not being able to remember all the names or mention your car, I will try and get them in my reflection after the next run.

What does it all mean :-? - I just wanted to let those who have never attended a run get a taster of what their missing and hopefully get them to put their excuses to one side, you live this life once - Enjoy Life - get to a meet, you'll leave with a warm glow and many happy memories.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by PQD44. Reason: Oooops, I've given the Run the wrong date it should of course read 21 May 2011, Would a friendly mod please alter the title of this thread, Thanks

Re: A Newbies viewpoint - Crackpot Run 23 May 2011 12 years 10 months ago #24375

Cracking report[/b:] :thumbsup: (you deserve a mug for this alone ~ Simon note) Paul (Kameleon) had a very very lucky escape., assume we will get update on his progress. There is something unique about MG owners, pleased you felt so welcome :cheer:

Re: A Newbies viewpoint - Crackpot Run 23 May 2011 12 years 10 months ago #24377

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Looks like a great run. Pauls accident looks shocking!!

Looking forward to the Scotland Invasion....just without the mountain top crashes!!

Glad he is not more seriously hurt

Re: A Newbies viewpoint - Crackpot Run 21 May 2011 12 years 10 months ago #24379

An excellent write-up Paul. You could become 'Official Secretary' of the Border Patrol.:lol: One minor correction, it was Dan's yellow Trophy that split a hose and had to be abandoned. But 9/10 all the same.:rofl: 10/10 for the photos which give a real idea of the Run atmosphere. :thumbsup:

Paul (Kameleon) is in good condition, so I hear, with only a cut to his head as physical evidence of his very lucky 'Italian Job' Cliff hanger escape. :yesnod:

The car will probably be a write off, I'm afraid. :nonod:

Despite the severity of the accident, he was in a convoy doing only 35-40 mph at that time, just to clarify the situation.

Of course, I'm certain we all wish Paul a speedy recovery, and I understand he is already on the lookout for a replacement!:broon:
David
:shrug:

Re: A Newbies viewpoint - Crackpot Run 21 May 2011 12 years 10 months ago #24380

An excellent write-up Paul. You could become 'Official Secretary' of the Border Patrol.:lol: One minor correction, it was Dan's yellow Trophy that split a hose and had to be abandoned. But 9/10 all the same.:rofl: 10/10 for the photos which give a real idea of the Run atmosphere. :thumbsup:

Paul (Kameleon) is in good condition, so I hear, with only a cut to his head as physical evidence of his very lucky 'Italian Job' Cliff hanger escape. :yesnod:

The car will probably be a write off, I'm afraid. :nonod:

Despite the severity of the accident, he was in a convoy doing only 35-40 mph at that time, just to clarify the situation.

Of course, I'm certain we all wish Paul a speedy recovery, and I understand he is already on the lookout for a replacement!:broon:

I second that, Paul should become "Official Secretary" (might get a mug!!!!) great report, really give a feel for the day.
Good to hear that Paul (Kamelion) is ok, yep, car will be a goner RIP :ohmy:

Re: A Newbies viewpoint - Crackpot Run 21 May 2011 12 years 10 months ago #24382

Looks a great run,glad Paul managed to duck.
Chris

Re: A Newbies viewpoint - Crackpot Run 21 May 2011 12 years 10 months ago #24383

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

....One minor correction, it was Dan's yellow Trophy that split a hose and had to be abandoned. But 9/10 all the same.:rofl:

Shame on both you and Clive, 9/10 indeed, the other deliberate mistake has not been mentioned, Paul is receiving hugs from Phil and......Anne, my apologies Anne. I will learn all your names eventually.

Going to post all the photos in album shortly, so as they say ...watch this space

Re: A Newbies viewpoint - Crackpot Run 21 May 2011 12 years 10 months ago #24394

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I did spot that, so did Anne, but I thought I would leave it up to her to "educate" you next time we meet. :P

Re: A Newbies viewpoint - Crackpot Run 21 May 2011 12 years 10 months ago #24402

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX

I second that, Paul should become "Official Secretary" (might get a mug!!!!) great report, really give a feel for the day.
Good to hear that Paul (Kamelion) is ok, yep, car will be a goner RIP :ohmy:

I don't know about that, I'm beginning to think i would be worried about any Mug in Paul's hands, every where i look i see desperate plea's for a mug, .ORG included now!. Whats Paul's sinister plan for all these mugs :nonod:

Last edit: Post by psymon.

Re: A Newbies viewpoint - Crackpot Run 21 May 2011 12 years 10 months ago #24418

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Simon, I need the mugs because as Phil and Damien can attest, when on a wind swept hill side, sitting above the scene of an 'incident' plotting which bits to scavenge from the wrecked carcass of a silver TF, I share my flask of coffee. Hence I rest my case, I need mugs (three would be nice, like in the photo in the first post of a certain thread).

:)

PHOTOGRAPHS
lots of them, with at least two of every car and lots of the striped ones.

Take a look by clicking here

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT