Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Budget UK conversion 1 year 3 months ago #201016

• Visitor
  • Visitor
That is a superb conversion and very well written up.
Would it have been possible to locate all the batteries where the fuel tank was in order to retain the use of the passenger seat ?
Did it just need a bog standard MOT or an additional engineers report ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Budget UK conversion 1 year 1 month ago #201510

Sorry for the slow reply!

In the future I think that is exactly what will be possible. At the moment with current battery power densities it would be pretty hard to fit a decent amount of power in that space. The fuel tank is a rather odd shape which doesn't fit well with the square box forms that batteries typically take.

Just has a normal MOT with a note stating electric conversion, and the insurance company is aware. It did more than double my insurance. The DVLA will send someone out to check that you haven't done any drilling or cutting and then refuse to update the logbook anyway for post 2001 cars. So still stuck with petrol road tax.

Admittedly once you have had that inspection there might well be nothing stopping you from placing the battery in the front subframe. Or given the DVLA won't actually update anything you might question the point of telling them about it anyway, which then removes the zero tolerance limitation on drilling or cutting.

I am tempted to keep my eyes out for a cheap pre 2001 MG with major engine or gearbox issues, then it would be a straight subframe swap and I could actually get the road tax down to £0 and DVLA computers would be able to change the logbook.

Budget UK conversion 1 year 1 week ago #201750

If ever I get around to doing my conversion I plan to 3D print 18650 battery holders to fit all the available spaces creating my own units.

Working on the tightest of budgets (i.e. free is expensive) I plan to use second hand cells from used laptop batteries.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Budget UK conversion 11 months 1 week ago #202287

If ever I get around to doing my conversion I plan to 3D print 18650 battery holders to fit all the available spaces creating my own units.

Working on the tightest of budgets (i.e. free is expensive) I plan to use second hand cells from used laptop batteries.

I expect the cheapest overall way will be to use a battery from a PHEV, the BMW hybrid batteries in particular are very good. They come with the bms system which is already hacked, along with the main junction box which has recently been hacked as well. Good power output and a decent size. You'll get maybe 30 miles out of the 12kWh packs. I think I might end up putting one in mine eventually.
The trouble with reusing 18650s is that filament isn't that cheap to start with. You'll then need a BMS system, contactors etc. I can also see in the future a battery like that or like the one I'm using will have a harder time getting through inspections. I think they will look very favorably on reusing OEM components which have already gone through safety tests.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT