Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Europe Road Trip 8 years 3 weeks ago #166571

The cam belt needs doing anyway so you can't include that as a trip cost.

We've done loads of trips through Europe (wife is from Bilbao, she was living near the Hauge when we meet and her kids were there for 3 years after she moved over/several touring holidays - last was Naples, next is Rome) so have a bit of experience, possibly 30k.

The only additional equipment I take is breakdown cover and the only things I have needed were a temporary mirror after someone took one off the Range Rover and some sun tan oil when the fuel filler cap lock dried out on the F in Nice, that was 3 years ago and it's been fine ever since. The F was running very hot climbing the Alps last year but that was a combination of being low on oil and the radiator missing 30% of it's fins.

Allow twice as long as you think you need, consider an overnight stop, get the roof down as often as you can and enjoy.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, richardgr88

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Europe Road Trip 8 years 3 weeks ago #166573

Go to a nudist beech then you will not need any cloths plenty in south of France :woohoo: :clap: :woowoo: :welcome: :beer: :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: richardgr88

Europe Road Trip 8 years 3 weeks ago #166574

The cam belt needs doing anyway so you can't include that as a trip cost.

We've done loads of trips through Europe (wife is from Bilbao, she was living near the Hauge when we meet and her kids were there for 3 years after she moved over/several touring holidays - last was Naples, next is Rome) so have a bit of experience, possibly 30k.

The only additional equipment I take is breakdown cover and the only things I have needed were a temporary mirror after someone took one off the Range Rover and some sun tan oil when the fuel filler cap lock dried out on the F in Nice, that was 3 years ago and it's been fine ever since. The F was running very hot climbing the Alps last year but that was a combination of being low on oil and the radiator missing 30% of it's fins.

Allow twice as long as you think you need, consider an overnight stop, get the roof down as often as you can and enjoy.

Cheers talkingcars. 30k sounds like some experience :-) Like the sun tan oil solution...I couldn't get in the boot once but luckily had some stuff I'd brought for something else, I sprayed in the lock and we were back in business. I think our round trip not including any day trips while we're down there is about 2,200 so we're going to stop off in a few places over night. Shortest parts of the journey around 170 miles and then the longest 400 and there is 9 of them which covers both going and coming back and the UK side of things. Probably allow another 1,500 when we're down there for going places.

Europe Road Trip 8 years 3 weeks ago #166589

I was thinking today, if you want reassurance the car is up to the trip take a day out and visit somewhere in the UK that is just over half the distance of your longest planned leg and go for a coffee.

Europe Road Trip 8 years 3 weeks ago #166590

Nice idea, I was thinking something similar myself. The car is booked in for the cambelt and service on Friday so if all goes to plan could have a day out at the weekend.

On a side note wil be interested if the car drives any different with fresh oil, filters and spark plugs. Checked the oil today and wasn't a great colour.

Europe Road Trip 8 years 3 weeks ago #166595

Me, I wouldn't even bother with the service. If it became irreparable, I'd enjoy the holiday and fly back. Come what may, just go in the MG. You'll turn more heads than a Merc and you'll enjoy the weather much more with the roof down. We broke down with a split hose and managed to fix it ourselves. Unbelievable really. I hadn't even seen a TF engine until that point. :lol: Touring with my son, in the rain with the roof down. It was one of the best times of my life. :hugs:

Europe Road Trip 8 years 3 weeks ago #166596

Hey Leigh,

I came across your video in my searches :-) Looks like you had a great time with your son. That is funny about not seeing a TF engine before you broke down over there!. Turns out I'm famous on google too...typed in MG TF roadtrip and got pictures of our trip to Norfolk a year or so ago. How did you fix the pipe?

My other half went to the South of France in a Jaguar S type I think it was once which wasn't that old and they ended up flying back so it just goes to show.

If all goes well with the Cambelt and service on Friday thinking of a 300 mile round trip at the weekend to see a friend up north on a flying visit. The garage are going to use the oil I brought to change myself but never got round to so thats a couple of £ saved. Cambelt does need doing though as might break on the way to work or the shops one day.

:-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Europe Road Trip 8 years 3 weeks ago #166597

How did you fix the pipe?

We just moved the jubilee clip down the hose so that the split was no longer in the equation.

Have fun. :)

Europe Road Trip 8 years 2 weeks ago #166717

So it's been a busy last few days for the TF otherwise know affectionately as "Bugs" (to do with the sequence of letters in the number plate and quite endearing!)

Friday saw quite a bit of overdue TLC in the form of new cambelt, tensioner and water pump along with a service including spark plugs, oil, filters and coolant. Then in the evening I fitted a newly acquired wind break which had been on the other half's wish list for some time. Didn't realise it would make such a difference but am pleased with the result. Only comment from the garage was that when changing the oil they only had to drain 1.5 litres as it was very low. Has now been replaced with fresh stuff but something to keep an eye on. It looks as though someone may have had a go at doing the belt in the past as the cover was missing some bolts and a few bolts needed to be drilled out to do with the water pump, all in all came in below my budgeted figure.

Saturday saw a 350 mile round trip up to Hull and back to see a friend. Pleased the weather held out too - we even went to a beach.

And the best part of the story is that the TF never skipped a beat and there is still about 1/4 of a tank of fuel left. Did the 1st half in the day with the roof off the entire way :-)

Next steps get the ferry/tunnel booked and some hotels for the trip in the summer.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Europe Road Trip 8 years 2 weeks ago #166719

Good news about getting your car fixed. And sounds like you had a nice test run. :clap:
Like the pictures.
Looks like your set now for your holidays. :woohoo:

Tony B)

Europe Road Trip 8 years 2 weeks ago #166722

Next steps get the ferry/tunnel booked and some hotels for the trip in the summer.

We've just booked our hotels for Euro2016-Rome. time is going to so drag for the next 7 weeks.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT