Sign In   Register

Topic

Annoying rattle 9 years 4 months ago #154266

If it is big end then new bearings and a crank regrind will be needed.
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Annoying rattle 9 years 4 months ago #154267

I mean another MGF...

Annoying rattle 9 years 4 months ago #154268

Depends on relative costs whether repair the engine/replace the engine/ replace the car is the way to go... It might be cheaper to get another (good) engine.
David

Annoying rattle 9 years 4 months ago #154272

As I quickly count the costs ahead... last time the HG and timebelt replacement set me back for 1450 pound, now we're talking big end grinding, probably piston and or cam replacement on top of that... and than it's still is a 1L oil on 1500 km consumer...
There are F's in mint condition for about 2200 pound with <150K

And then, there is a soggy footwell issue, the softtop is to be replaced, interior starts to wear down, suspension is gradually getting worse, the electrics has bugs..

On the other hand the stuff I've put in there, vented brakes & greenstuff pads, adjustable shocks, Lexus style rearlights and the hardtop can just de exchanged with the next one.. together with the polybush, inox waterpiping, airduct, slickshifter and other stuff that had to be putted in there (and which I already have)

Last edit: Post by Kobold. Reason: Still trouble with grammar..

Annoying rattle 9 years 4 months ago #154289

Lookin for fitting solutions I came across this ad:

Will shortly be released.
A tuned engine rover k series for lotus elise s1.
Engine delivers 185pk and has run after building about 80,000 km.
Flowed cylinder head by Dave Andrews, Piper camshafts, Omega pistons, Reinforced connecting rods, Original crankshaft, New cylinder liners,
Lighter flywheel, Ap link, Jenvey throttle body's, Bernard's airbox, Remote thermostat

This for 1750 Bpound (€2200)
For additional price;
Laminova oil cooler, QED 4-2-1 collector exhaust with sports cat, Emerald ECU mapped by Dave Walker.

Would this fit in a MGF ? :broon:

I asume that rebuilding the old engine wil cost me just as much and this one is a totally upgraded and ready to fit solution (I think)
As I see the km driven with this engine I asume it needs a new timingbelt and a 80.000 km service job before its builded in.

If this engine would fit, then it would be conveniant to get the polybushes done at the same time, although more HP means it needs more stoppingpower first, so 17" rims should be fitted to house the bigger brakes. (€2000, rims, tires, discs and brakes)

Because everything is open at this point and the hydragasunits are deteriorating, would spring units be a smart solution? (€800, Rimmers Bros)
The chairs, cloth and all padding are rather jaded by the moist atmosphere due to inter alia the leaking airduct, so replace that as well..(€ :-? )

Whilst everything is ripped out, the slick shifter would be a breeze to fit in, and after exchanging the waterpiping for it's inox counterpart a winterresistant bodysuit underneath would complete the job (€600)
To have it watertight again the hood has also te be replaced as its stretched out and blows up like an old motorjacket not to mention the cracked plastic window. (€800)

Did i forget anything? :pop:
At this point it's quite a costly midlife update.. :oops: :tada:

The point in this, besides of getting this sold to my better halve, is that it will be another project car and I will need another daily commuter
(Her '85 90" is waiting for a total rebuild, but we have got an aditional 11 years before that turns into a oldtimer again due to new Dutch roadtax :vulture: regulations, getting it now on the road would cost a €183 (145 Bpound) on roadtax montly :omg: )

Last edit: Post by Kobold. Reason: aditional thoughts, selling it to myself

Annoying rattle 9 years 4 months ago #154290

Yes it will fit, some of the ancillaries might be different.
However, it would be substantially cheaper to talk to Russell at www.MGroversolutions.co.uk he has travelled to Europe before to sort out engines, and even paying his flight or travel etc would still be much less than that.
But first you need to find out what the issue is with your engine.
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobold

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Annoying rattle 9 years 4 months ago #154294

I've loosened the sparkleads one at the time but can't tell the difference when revved, the knocking occured when revved at the moment I release the throtlecable.
It runs a whole lot better with the iridiums tough, but I bring it in to have the problem determined.

Last edit: Post by Kobold.

Annoying rattle 9 years 4 months ago #154295

For god's sake DO NOT change to springs as the kit from rimmers has all sorts of problems
The best way to change to springs is to get TF sub frames
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Last edit: Post by helsbyman.

Annoying rattle 9 years 4 months ago #154306

Just search for Suplex on here and read all about it. :bang: :bang: Hah!
David

Annoying rattle 9 years 4 months ago #154308

Well, there isn't a word French in that :dry:
Thanks for warning me..
Fitting the TF's subframes should be the way to go... learning a lot in a few days here, thanks guys!

Annoying rattle 9 years 3 months ago #155059

At this point I know what the problem is with the engine.
The bearings of the pistonrods are shot and replacement is only advisable with a total engine revision, and not the most logic option.
But I've found another MGF with 88K on the clock, it suffers from HGF and the timingbelt has to be replaced, but that is common maintenance.
The F I've found have I got for €850 euro's 8-)
It has only to be transported from the other side of the country at €225
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Last edit: Post by Kobold.
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT