Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

TF replacement... 9 years 7 months ago #150662

• pgew's Avatar Topic Author
  • pgew
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
A lot of these ideas coming up are valuable - maybe we should take the task seriously and send a message to SAIC from this very active and lively group of TF fans - what better source could they have? As I am happy to say ad nauseam the TF is fabulous fun even at low speeds, and that must be pretty damn rare anywhere - can they at least make that a priority - along with the good looks that won the TF an award for most beautiful car of 2003? I personally like the parts box British approach of the TF but that might not translate well into Chinese marketing! (The Spitfire effect)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF replacement... 9 years 7 months ago #150663

All good points, but they aren't looking to produce a new replacement until 2020! A lot can happen in 6 years in terms of technology and design. SAIC have stated many times that there only focus is on MG3, MG5 and the concept SUV they have designed to re-establish the brand. The only thing SAIC want at the moment is money and they won't get that from designing and relaunching the tf.

TF replacement... 9 years 7 months ago #150668

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.

Back on topic, I was reminded the other day of what an excellent package the Fiat X1/9 was. Mid engined, rear wheel drive, dedicated engine cover not requiring 14 bolts to un do, boots front & back, a clever targa roof that stowed in the front and gave a proper roll bar doing away with the need for a separate hard top, wind break or hood renovater, spare wheel stowed behind the driver's seat etc etc. I'd love to see an MG with that packaging, some British styling and a modern powerplant.

Richard

Sorry, but commenting on something contained in a topic isn't going off topic actually. :yesnod: just saying. ;)

If Chinee Wover are seeking to reinforce the bland with an off roader, then a renaissance of the MG brand is definiteley doomed. It's doomed any road: I've driven an MG3 hire car from Birmingham Airport to back 'ome after a business trip. Absolute shite. Reminded me of a Rover 25 I had as a hire car years back, only the panel gaps were worse and the plastic even cheaper and nastier.

The first brand that leaps into your mind with regard to off road vehicles, built in the Midlands is.... M...., no, it's Land Rover.

I personally don't believe that there is a market for a new generation TF: any number of CC derivatives are available to satisfy top down motoring. We only put up with our TF because it's built in Britain. It's ill-designed and badly built. If we'd wanted boring old-people style sports car motoring we'd have bought an MX5. Which are a properly designed and built Lotus rip-off. Or maybe an MR2.

Our heritage is Brit cars: I passed my test in a Viva. My first car was a Wolseley. The first car that the Ginger Midget and I courted in was a ropey MG Midget. Which is why we put up with our TF.

Chinese MG: just another badly built foreign car. Sorry if you have an Ell Eee Five Hunled. You'll no doubt justify it. My mate Denny had one. Sold it after 6 months. Drove it. Christ, it was rough as arseholes. But someone will defend the poxy things no doubt.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Last edit: Post by John and Sue.

TF replacement... 9 years 7 months ago #150675

The reason for the SUV/Crossover junk is that is what the brain washed public is buying. Most have no style and are all basically the same with different stickers on. Cheap with loads of profit in them as the brain washed are paying well over the top for lacking in style.

TF replacement... 9 years 7 months ago #150679

I wonder how long the great unwashed public's obsession with SUV/crossdressers crossovers is going to last, mind you the world is full of halfwits who are expressing their individuality by doing exactly the same thing as all the other individualistic halfwits! None of these dropkicks have ever had an original thought in their pointless lives, which explains religious fanaticism, why reality TV shows get the rating points and how politicians get elected.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

TF replacement... 9 years 7 months ago #150699

• pgew's Avatar Topic Author
  • pgew
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
One Sunday paper had a ray of optimism re the Chinese market. Apparently the youths of 20 with all the money these days are turned off by Vuitton, Cartier and brands in general, as it's what their parents wanted and have. They are looking for good design, more hipster than bling. A clever MG management could reinvent the best of the TF, updated and cool, and make a killing. The bets on the likelihood of that may be less encouraging - or non-existent, but where there's hope...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT