Sign In   Register

Topic

MGF MOT fail 9 years 8 months ago #147644

Hi DMC77
I had the same problem with emissions and took the car to my mechanic who tested all the sensors [ with a £400 diagnostic machine ] and fond one not working replaced it and all was well
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by helsbyman.

MGF MOT fail 9 years 8 months ago #147656

Thanks for the offer Brian but I ordered one last night from Euro Carparts for £12. For that money I may as well change it.

Helsbyman,

I don't suppose you can remember which sensor you had to replace ?

MGF MOT fail 9 years 8 months ago #147659

Thanks for the offer Brian but I ordered one last night from Euro Carparts for £12. For that money I may as well change it.

Helsbyman,

I don't suppose you can remember which sensor you had to replace ?

The coolant sensor that sends the info to the ECU is the upper one on the aluminium coolant outlet elbow on the cylinder head (flywheel end exhaust manifold side) The lower sensor on the same elbow only send information to the gauge and has no input to the engine management system.

Brian.

MGF MOT fail 9 years 8 months ago #147662

Yes the one before the cat
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

MGF MOT fail 9 years 8 months ago #147926

The car goes in for another test tomorrow. I've changed the temp sensor and finally got a cat to fit tonight after euro car parts got me one with a pre-cat lambda even though I told them I only had the one lambda in the manifold.

Would removing the air filter for the test help in reducing the CO readings?

MGF MOT fail 9 years 8 months ago #147931

The car goes in for another test tomorrow. I've changed the temp sensor and finally got a cat to fit tonight after euro car parts got me one with a pre-cat lambda even though I told them I only had the one lambda in the manifold.

Would removing the air filter for the test help in reducing the CO readings?

Probably not as the pressure and temp sensors in the inlet manifold are post the throttle butterfly; but if you think the air filter is dirty or needs changing then definitely fit a new one prior the test.

Good luck.

MGF MOT fail 9 years 8 months ago #147996

Well she passed the MOT today so good to go for another year.
Don't know if it was the coolant sensor or the cat but one of them did the trick.

Now I've managed to download some photos I thought I would share my first attempt at welding. It certainly isn't the neatest bit of work but with only half an hour of practice and shaping the panel with a lump hammer over a kerb it could have been a lot worse.
Now it's passed the MOT I will spend a bit more time on the filler and spray it in the right colour rather than the hammerite that's on it at the moment.

If I managed it and you're not worried if it's a bit rough around the edges then I would recommend any one to have a go. It is a bit daunting though when you're actually cutting away the old panel and you're staring at a big hole.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

MGF MOT fail 9 years 8 months ago #147997

Congratulations on getting the pass :clap: , you certainly worked hard for it.

Welding is something I've yet to try. Maybe I should get some kit and practice before I actually need it.

MGF MOT fail 9 years 8 months ago #147998

It was definitely a steep learning curve and took me a whole weekend but it was quite satisfying in the end.
If you're going to do a fair bit of welding you can pick up a gasless mig for the cost of a few hours labour and you will still have a welder at the end of it.

MGF MOT fail 9 years 8 months ago #148000

Well done :broon: :broon:
[IMG]ht[/img]

MGF MOT fail 9 years 8 months ago #148001

Yeah, well done.

Doesn't look too bad for a first go mate.

I can weld but it's still a learning curve every time !!

All you gotta do now is spray it up properly :yesnod:

Well done. :broon:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

MGF MOT fail 9 years 8 months ago #148002

Well done, spot on job.

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT