• Page:

Topic

More electrical problems 9 years 9 months ago #147049

• Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Billy
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi All,

I posted a couple of weeks ago about strange things going on with alarm/interior lights. David suggested a problem with the loom running below the boot hinge so I stripped that of all tape and no shorts or open circuits, but the problem is still there.
However, driving into work this morning, a real problem developed. I had just fuelled up after around ten miles driving, everything perfect. A couple of miles down the road, the speedo stopped working; oh well I thought, I'd better check that loom again.
Another five miles and the EPAS light came on and steering went heavy.
I have been in the boot and under the bonnet . All fuses OK, all wiring (apparently) OK, all ground connections and headers OK. All I can put it down to is either the wiring/connector on the speed transducer or the transducer itself.

Two questions really:
1. As you look at the engine from the inspection grill (not the engine access cover) where is the sensor located and can you reach it?

2. Am I chasing the right fault or could this be more complex, i.e. an ECU problem?

AS always, any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks, Bill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More electrical problems 9 years 9 months ago #147053

• Billy
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Ok, a quick update. Just been out to the car and I think I've found the sensor- behind the coil pack, right hand side rear of engine? Anyway, had a poke about and a spray of WD. Then I turned off the battery isolator left a while and back on.

Fired the car up, EPAS now working, speedo still not, and now the interior lights WON'T go off as opposed to not coming on. Could this be one of the ECU's or a power supply problem? :-?

Been out again, lights have now gone off. This I'm not now worried about as I am pretty sure it is one of the microswitches on the locks.

EPAS still working, but no speedo.

Last edit: Post by Billy.

More electrical problems 9 years 9 months ago #147055

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
on earlier Fs it was a mechanical speedo cable on the newer ones its electronic. Thats all i know tbh.

More electrical problems 9 years 9 months ago #147056

If the epas is working but not the speedo, then that suggests a fault with the speedo or its connection. The epas requires a signal from the speed sensor to keep working so the sensor must be ok.
There is a built in delay on the interior lights, but if they stay on it is probably a micro switch in one of the door locks or boot lock.

Speed sensor.

David
:shrug:
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

More electrical problems 9 years 9 months ago #147057

• Billy
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thanks David, that looks as if you're looking directly down in between the inlet manifold and the rear bulkhead, is that right? Also, coming home just now from work, first bump, EPAS light came on again, speedo still not working.
Once parked up at home, switched isolator off and on again, EPAS light out.

The interior lights I'm not worried about, just doused the locks in silicon lube.

It's having no speedo that really bugs me, TBH I preferred driving the country roads without the EPAS. once I've got it working again I might look into fitting a bypass switch.

I've just located the exact spot on your photo, and I'm afraid that on mine it appears to be mechanical as it has a tube rather like the throttle cable (but thicker) leading out of it and disappearing towards the cabin bulk head. It is a '97 VVC.
So now, I need advice as to what the heck to check for on this. Electronics is my forte, although I am very handy with spanners and sockets.

More electrical problems 9 years 9 months ago #147059

That photo is looking through with the inlet manifold on the right and the carbon canister on the left.

Yeah, cable drive speedo on Fs up to 2000/2001.
Cable comes in three parts apparently. Usually it's the rear section that fails.
Switching the isolator will reset the epas and it will then work for a while before throwing a fault again.
David

More electrical problems 9 years 9 months ago #147060

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID000061
David
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Billy

More electrical problems 9 years 9 months ago #147067

• Billy
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thanks very much for that David. Thats my weekend mapped out anyway.

More electrical problems 9 years 9 months ago #147076

Very early Fs had a two part cable, what is your Vin ?? last six digits only. the speedo drive also strips the nylon gear wheel. No speedo and the EPAS will not work.

More electrical problems 9 years 9 months ago #147077

Update on my previous post, speedo cable on the F was changed from TWO part to THREE part at VIN 000510 (September 1995)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Billy

More electrical problems 9 years 9 months ago #147078

• Billy
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Cheers Bryan. So would you think it likely that it is the bottom part, the bit which goes into the gearbox case which will be stripped or the speedo end?

More electrical problems 9 years 9 months ago #147429

• Billy
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Found the problem after starting at the wrong end of the car! The speedo cable had snapped inside the tube about two inches from the sender in the gearbox. The tube itself was full of water and the cable had literally rusted through.
Had a look at Rimmers and I'm looking at £70 for a new one :omg: , even on flea bay they're £40. I don't suppose anyone out there has got a half decent one lying around they would like to sell?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT